General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

HELP! - ML 63 AMG stalling problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 09:19 AM
Default HELP! - ML 63 AMG stalling problem

HELP! - ML 63 AMG stalling problem [/align][hr]

Can anyone give me some advice.

I have a 2007 ML 63 AMG which stalled while braking into a left hand turn to merge into traffic at approx 60km/hour on the day after delivery. No sound, shudder or warning, just lit all the lights up on the dash, no power steering and limited brakes.

After two weeks in the shop, no faults were found and it was deemed to be a glitch or perhaps fuel blockage.

10000 kilometres later, it has stalled again while I was driving it again breaking into a left hand turn at approx 20km/hour in a parking lot.

After two weeks in the shop and again no fault presenting, the service manager informed us that they have replaced the crankshaft sensor as this caused stalling in the last model ML.

As we had already searched forums for this problem, we were pretty sure this wasn't the case as they were often from overheating and usually did not restart immediately. Our car will start immediately after the stall. The service department researched further and told us that there was a software update that had been tried on a car in Melbourne with a similar problem and so far it hadn't stalled again, but they don’t know whether it has fixed it.

This is our family car and obviously we are concerned about it stalling perhaps next time going in to a corner at 80-100km/hour and in turn locking the brakes and steering, and as it is intermittent, we have no way of telling if it is fixed unless it does it again.

Unfortunately, the dealers are telling me that Daimler Chrysler know of only one other car worldwide that has this problem. I can't help but think that if it was truly a software problem then with the number of ML 63 AMG that have been produced at least 5% of the cars worldwide should of also reported this as a problem.

I'm beginning to think that my car is a lemon.

The biggest problem with this is that I am not willing to chance it happening again unless my dealer can come up with some substantiating proof that this is a known software problem and that there is a proven fix.

Currently they can not give me that assurance. My whole family have owned numerous mercedes benz for many years. It breaks my heart to think that I may have to sell this car that I love so much and buy an X5 or Porsche because DC can not provide me with a fix for it.

Does anybody know of any other ML 63 AMG that have had this problem and how was it fixed.

Help.[/align]

Old 10-13-2007, 06:01 PM
NAZ
Default RE: HELP! - ML 63 AMG stalling problem

sounds more like loose connection when the car turns its missin its connection ,had a very similer fault on a clk 55 amg 2007 model wat i found was rear sam unit had a loose connection it was just a matter of pusin the connector and problem was solved........tell your dealer to check all sam unit connectors,let me nohow u get on.........

Old 10-13-2007, 07:42 PM

Thanks so much for your response.

What exactly is a sam connector and what is its purpose. Why does it make the car stall?

Old 10-15-2007, 05:00 AM

We need to make a decision on whether we keep this car if this fix doesn't work.

Does the new ML have any major problems which should stop us ordering a new one??

Arepeople having major problems with them, or is my car an isolated case.

Thanks.

Old 02-23-2008, 04:22 AM

Hi

My ML 63 has a stalling problem. The details are almost the same as yours.

Has your vehilce been fixed? If so, how PLEASE? Did the SAM connector check work?

My local dealer (Australia) has advised they are not aware of any other ML having this problem!

Thanks

Old 02-23-2008, 10:19 AM

hey guys i hope i can be of some help, i am currentlythe lead mercedes benz techat an MB dealer-have not heard much of this problem but i have seen a few things come up as far as thottle body issues and i beleive they released a bulletin for replacing the throttle body wiring harness for to high of resistance-i cant remember off the top of my head and i dont have access to my work through my home-i would imagine a respectful dealership would be able to get this information but who knows-ill look into it on monday but beleive me this should not sour you on the mercedes benz these are great vehicles-i have had to fix multiple vehicles that were "lemon law buy backs" due to odd issues

Old 02-23-2008, 03:42 PM

i do know there is a bulletin about the ML 63's with a larger diameter fuel line that is supposed to cure the stalling problem. I looked for the bulletin but can seem to find the document i have seen it and i know it does exsist. i think it is between a certain VIN range but i do know its for the ML 63

Old 02-25-2008, 01:43 AM

Hi

As I have not had a hit on either of the forums I posted on for a while, I was hoping this was an isolated case with our car, so we traded it and have another on order, due to arrive soon.

It is interesting that the other car is also in Australia.

I am of course concerned that the problem may actually be with ML 63 in general and our new car may have the same problem.

It will be 12 months exactly when our new one arrives from the first ones delivery and in that time, we traded it in September, are waiting 6 months for the new one and have only driven the first one for about 4 months. Our dealer has tried to be helpful and accommodating, but if this is actually an ongoing problem with the model itself and we have been without a car all this time, I will not be impressed to say the very least.

Any advice that can be offered would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-28-2008, 05:06 AM

Hi Eaglebanian

I have sent you a couple of personal emails, but haven't got your reply, perhaps you are away.

Would love to hear more about your car. How many kilometres, how often is it doing it, which dealer did you get it from, (please do not put the dealers nameon the forum, send me a personal message or email instead for this).

If we end up having the same dealer and they are telling you that 'they know of no other cars' then that is[sm=bs.gif].

Our dealer, and I would think the other dealers in our area, ( you are in our area, we may well have the same dealer)as well as the main branch in Australiaknow about our car.They were many phone calls between us and between our dealer and the main branch. It was a huge saga and took many back and forth phone calls to them and meetings with them for us to decide that the only answer as far as we were concerned was to trade it. They could give us no assurance that it wouldn't happen again.

I would really like to get some discussion going between us, both for your current situation and for the delivery and our acceptance of our new car being delivered in 6 weeks! You are the only other person I know on the planet having this problem and it may be more than coincidence that both the cars are in Australia.