General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

got a short circuit somewhere. (260E)

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 04:10 PM
Default got a short circuit somewhere. (260E)

1987 260E 2.6L

CAR STAT: 260E (1987) 2.6L automatic

Hello folks,
Today I ventured enough to try and open the sunroof, it went about a quarter way and blew a fuse. I replaced the fuse and quickly quickly closed the sunroof. Whew!!

However a new problem suddenly appears. The right front corner light and the right rear light stays on after I shut the car and turned off all light. That's correct! These lights mysteriously remain lit. I opened the light housings and removed the bulb from the front and rear right side, to conserve battery. I think I am screwed!! Anyone encountered these problems? How do you fix it? Is this only professional job?

Anyone has the wiring diagram for this vehicle? Thanks a lot!!!

Old 11-29-2006, 04:15 AM
Default RE: got a short circuit somewhere. (260E)

Sure the sunroof is fully shut? Could be the alarm system warning that the roof is not shut. Does your roof have an emergency mechanical crank to open/close it?
Were the corner lights on at full intensity (vs other side) or just glowing dimly? Could be some sort of fuse / earthing problem.
Have you checked All other fuses. If so how do you check fuses? A multimeter with the fuse removed?

Trying to glean a little more info:
What happens when you turn the corner lights ON (with the bulbs in). Do they work correctly or something wrong with them...Dim etc.
What are corner lights? Do you mean the little repeaters in the bumper or do you mean the bigger side and tail lamps in the main clusters.
Finally when the corner lights come on when locking the car with everything supposedly OFF do the "bumper repeaters" AND the side/tail lamps come on or just the corner lights.
Do you have an alarm system fitted and if so is it original equipment.

Did both problems occur at the same time (roof not shut and lamps started to stay on) or did you just happen to notice the two faults at the same time. Sure?

Stuart.

Old 12-01-2006, 04:49 PM

Hi,
this may sound kind of silly, but since it was not mentioned I'll throw it in. German cars come with this weird (but cool) feature since forever, that when you are parked you can leave the "driving lights" (not the headlights) from either side on, either the left hand side or the right hand side. In some old cars you could do that by moving the turn signal comand up (right hand side light will come on) or down (left hand side lights will come on). In the MB cars, this feature is attached to the headlight comand ****. If you turn the **** counterclockwise one notch will turn the drving lights on the right hand side of they car, turn the **** a second notch and it will turn on the lights on the left hand side. MB is the only german car in North America that carries that feature over. If you are positive that you are leaving the headlight **** on the "12 'oclock" position when you turn the lights off it could be that somehow it's conecting this feature.... (specially since it's the right hand side lights that stay on).

Old 12-01-2006, 08:11 PM

nach23 is correct. Make sure the headlight switch is vertical when off. On the sunroof, I'll bet it needs the slider rails cleaned and re lubed. If binding on the old grease and crud then it would pull excess amps from the sunroof motor and pop the fuse.