General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Getting DVD movies to play on the Navi

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 04:49 AM
Default Getting DVD movies to play on the Navi

Hi all!
I have a new 06 S500 with DVD Navi and i know i can play DVD's in there BUT it wont display the video on the Navi saying its faded out because of safety blah blah. Well i dont want the DVD movie for myself, but my passengers i drive around. So my question is there a software way to unlock it, or is it hardware and how hard is it to be done.
Thank alot,
Zuhaib

Old 11-22-2005, 06:26 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Getting DVD movies to play on the Navi

your passenger can sit on the rear to watch from rear screen.

the dealer can activate the front screen if they agree with you.

Old 11-22-2005, 10:25 AM

I thought the USA versions can't show DVD video, only sound? Didn't corkscrew check into this and M-B told him it can't be done on an American version?

Old 11-22-2005, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

i haven't tried on USA version yet. but i believe it can be done. they use the same software.

Old 11-22-2005, 10:38 AM

It wasn't M-B that said it. Check out this thread. Apparently BigSis knows something?

Old 11-22-2005, 09:26 PM

Well i dont have a rear DVD screen (at this point i wished i did), so that is why i would love to have it show on the front.

So i guess the problem is getting the dealer to unlock it if i am to assume it can be. My dealer has mixed answer, they say that its physical problem and would need a different DVD player, but one said it might be able to be done but there Techs wont talk about it and wont do it. If i knew they "could" do it, then i would push but right now i am on the fence if it can be done or not.
Anyone from the bay area knows a dealer willing to do that.

Old 11-23-2005, 05:52 PM

Buy Nero software if you don't have it already. www.Nero.com It can record any music or video software. The pro version can unlock codes also. It unlocked the Sony code on CD's that hammed computers. I use regular CD-ROM to copy music and they play on ever CD player, including the one in my mercedes. Amazing software. I have never copied a DVD, as I own only a few. But my son howns 100s and copies them to play on a DVD burner, which is not supposed to play copyrighted burnt DVD's. As I said I think the proversion unlock codes, read however before you buy. also their customer service is fantastic, asked question on their contact us, and they most likely will give you an answer you need

I read the thread that lugnut posted. The reason it can't read the code probably is in th format or type of DVD MB uses, if you have a nav DVD see if it has a format label or type label. The Nero DVD utility I have will burn any format or DVD type.

Old 11-23-2005, 08:05 PM

I'm sure Nero is everything you say it is, but using it won't make an M-B navi system play the video part of a DVD. The problem isn't from playing a copied DVD or trying to copy a protected DVD. It makes no difference how the DVD is created. It's that the US version of the M-B navi system won't display the video portion of a DVD... for liability reasons. America is, after all, king of all the litigious societies.

Old 11-23-2005, 08:12 PM

OK, I understand, they don't want you to play a DVD sweet and simple as that! The poster could always have a DVD screen mounted on the sunvisor, saw one done on SPEED TV on Turner Transformation a week or so ago, then his rider could watch.

But IMHO, I don't like Nav systems to start out with, too distracting, and an DVD upfront would even be more distracting. Mass just passed a law, you can't talk on a handheld cell phone while driving. You need and ear plug or a system like Mercedes has. In NY STATE is is illegal to talk on a cell phone while driving period. No matter how it is hooked up. I got stop on the I90, right after the law was passed and I had a ear set on. The state trooper gave me a warning ticket, as I was out of state and they had a 30 grace period to compile for residents and non residents. Good Law.

Also, Mass has another bill in Boston on DVD players being installed whether factory or aftermarket in the front of the car, don't know if this one will pass, a lot of lobbying from the automakers I've read.

Old 11-23-2005, 08:50 PM

I don't know about the cell phone laws. I think people who get in accidents while talking on a cell phone would get in an accident even if they weren't talking on one. At any given time, I'd surmise that at least 25% of the drivers you can see are talking on their phone. Yet I don't see any more accidents now that cell phones are widely available than I did when they weren't.

Should they outlaw nose picking while driving? Every time I see someone picking their nose, they look at their finger after they pull it out. Some stare at it for several seconds before looking up at the road again. Very dangerous.

How about drinking those mega cups-o-stuff? Ever watch someone take a drink from one? The cup completely covers their face. They're driving blind for several seconds. Very dangerous.

Should they outlaw having kids in a car while it's moving because it's too distracting? Very dangerous.

What about scratching your butt? You have to loosen or remove your seatbelt to get decent relief. Very dangerous.

Too much gooberment. Not 'nuff free stuff.

Okay, anyway, DVD players. Aftermarket players will display DVD video when the car is stopped. M-B players won't, regardless.

Quick Reply: Getting DVD movies to play on the Navi