General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Fungus in a 300D

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 11:10 AM
Default Fungus in a 300D

Hey,I'm new here... and new to Mercedes (looking to buy), and really not much of a car guy- and I've got a question. Also, I apologize if this should be in the 300D question... mods please move this post as necessary. Thanks.

My situation: I need a reliable car, a second car, and I need it to essentially start, run, and drive- freeway capable. I'm willing to put money into it on a long term basis to make it look decent-- but I need it to be mechanically sound.

I've got a friend of mine with a 1980 300D. He's asking $700.00 with no work done to it. What it needs is: glow plugsI think (it doesn't like to start in the winter without a little ether). Also, this car was sitting for a number of years outside with a full tank of diesel. It does have fungus in the tank. It starts, it runs well (although the filter does get clogged with the crap out of the tank, so you need to pull it off and change it when that happens), and for $200.00 he's willing to put in the glow plugs and clean the tank- that takes me to $900.00 (he's an airplane mechanic... not a car mechanic). My fear is the injection pump. My tech question: if there was fungus in the tank is the injection pump for sure shot? It's not a do-it-yourself project, and I believe that runs a couple grand. I was always under the impression that if it does run well, even withfungus,the injection pump wouldn't have sustained damage.

Also, the body isn't pretty. A lot of rust and bondo.

Stay away from this? Or pursue it?

Old 04-05-2008, 02:28 AM
Default RE: Fungus in a 300D

Fungus truck stops or online you can get stuff to kill it treat it heavy run the tank empty or just drain it/ still treat it. If you run it out carry a can of fuel in the trunk also fuel filters also a good check where empty is. As long as it is some where you can pull over to do it. My 500gal tank got it while I went for call for duty. When I returned I pumped it into my car, truck, & tractor. Filter bill and hassels found it best to use up all of that fuel before putting in new