General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Fuel tank screen

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 06:19 PM
Default Fuel tank screen

I pulled the tank screen on my 300D 85 mod. It came out easy with the hose attached. The screen was very clean for 30 years, but the car has been setting in my garage for 6 years without being drove. But the fuel was black as used oil, I flushed the tank, and filled with new fuel. I think it runs a lot better just getting the old fuel out of it. Going to drive a little and change the fuel filters. I rebuilt the vacuum pump and tracked down some leaks and holds 22 inch vacuum at idle, still got to find a leak in vacuum lines to the doors. Have had her for 20 years, 100,000 miles, Also had to order a temperature control valve, Iput a mono valve in it but it would not work, it is getting power to it, must be the coil. It is odd to crawl under a car that is over 30 years old and not see any rust anywhere. She is solid!! What would one in great shape with everything working be worth??

Old 08-21-2016, 03:38 PM

Hello H Brewer, Last week I cracked a 20 yr old bottle of my own wild Choke Cherry. Sadly we drank the rest, it was a forgotten, dusty bottle. The party I brought it to, had a fair number of grape wine, kit brewers. They had 2 vintages of their own that they were swooning over. A beautifully labelled red
Pinot Noir that was pleasant to drink, if you enjoy rather sweet wine. In my humble opinion average. The other 20 bottles , of Riesling were the opposite and the crowd favourite was the Pinot.
Reality is this, the vast majority of the public think any car 30 years old is not something they want to be seen in. What they do not appreciate is a great DEPRECIATED car. You should ask your banker a different question. Ask what the real cost of ownership,of a 2017 loaded off the lot 300D is after 5 years with 100,000 miles . The figure is an eye opener. Like home made wine a lot of people prefer the commercial, new , hyped , loaded with bells and whistles rapidly depreciating asset. If you drive and maintain yours for the another 5 years, that is its real value. A quick look at Kijiji shows just the depreciation at around $40000 . That makes our old cars worth at least < you do the math> per year. I will stick with my own home brew , and I think you are a long ways ahead of the crowd by keeping your old car. Allan