General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Fan Clutch Switch

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 11:57 PM
Default Fan Clutch Switch

Is there any way to test this switch on the fan? Also, is the electric fan an auxilary fan? Mine looks like someone "hot-wired" it and I was wondering how to check it also.
Ken

Old 09-27-2006, 12:23 AM
Default RE: Fan Clutch Switch

To inspect your fan, go to the relay and check for power supply on one of the two large gauge wires - one on the feed and one is to fan motor. If power is found then disassemble and inspect for cracked solder in relay and repair as needed. The Haynes manual also lists a procedure for heating the switch up and checking it's operating point. Electric fan and an auxiliary cooling fan is just the same.

Old 09-27-2006, 02:12 PM
Default RE: Fan Clutch Switch

You can "hot wire" or ground the connections of the power supply don't pull off the connector complete but use a alligator clip to ground the prongs. Also, keep in mind these aux fans don't come on until the engine reaches a specific temp. On my 79 SLC it is 220 degrees F. I had it come on once this pass summer on a day that reached 99 degrees F. So if you are concerned it is not working, the engine has to be pretty hot before it will come on. Just as today, these engines were designed to run hot, around 175 degrees F for my V8 SLC, to help burn off pollutants. If you're not hitting the red on the temp gauge and not hitting the 220 degree F mark the fan won't come on. Hot is bettter since pollutions laws have come to be.

Yes the aux fan is electric and I don't know exactly what you mean by looking hot wired? The wires should neatly run up under the crossmember for the hood locks and connect back near the passenger side near the radiator.

As I remember if you car is equipped with AC you can jump the connection to the fan from the receiver/dryer, I forget however which side as there are two connectors, lookng at the receiver/dryer I think it is the left side connector, but don't take my word on that. Try jumping it at the connection near the readiator.