General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

electric gremlin noises? whinning noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 09:50 PM
Default electric gremlin noises? whinning noise

hello. 87 420 working the kinks out! when i turn the lights on you can hear a distintive. constant distortion from the left front speaker..( turn off light and it goes away) now, i do not even have the radio on because i have yet to get to re program the code. (yet to come) also while driving, a different whinning is comming from somewhere else..in sync with the gas pedal.. the more gas..the louder the high pitch noise. thanks

Old 08-21-2006, 09:29 AM
Default RE: electric gremlin noises? whinning noise

Good morning Riley 1,
1982, 300D Turbo I bought a little over 3 weeks ago. I sometimes have some engine pickup noise when listening to a weak AM signal on the old Becker radio, but I suspect that's normal. Other than that, I'm out of my depth and would probably take it to Foss Audio or some place simular. Re: your gas pedal whine. Is the differential full of oil? When was the last time it was changed, and did you use a good synthetic replacement? I have the same gas pedal whine, mostly between 50 and 60MPH. It goes away at around 70MPH. The sound is coming from the rear. I strongly suspect it's the differential. Immediaetly after buying the car, I had all fluids changed, so I'm nearly certain it's full of fresh synthetic oil. However, I also sometimes hear a clunk back there when the transmission shifts up out of first gear, so I know the bevel on the drive shaft needs changing. (Scheduled for next week. ) Helmut's German Auto Repair implied there's a remote chance that the whine is coming from that faulty bevel. If not, I'll live with it until I schedule a rebuilt diferential replacement next month. But before then I'll have Helmut's replace the timing chain ( tomorrow ) and oil cooler lines ( next week ) ... just to be extra cautious.