General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

ECU Virus?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 07:04 AM
Default ECU Virus?

Soon sleepwalker and A Dalton (et al) will have one more item to add to the diagnosis checklist. It appears there may be an imminent threat of an ECU virus in vehicles.

The last OBDIII document I read, which is admittedly "old," would easily allow a wireless transmission that includes such a virus. It's possible on OBDII as well, though it would be a little clunkier since the virus would have to infect OBDII readers first and be transmitted through them.

Old 02-09-2005, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: ECU Virus?

as for now, the programming functions inside the software are still not much of variant which can only give the virus a definite pattern on which actuation / disabling function to choose from.

the OBD CAN is the best way to inject it in, but can also be done through the phone on new models which uses MOST. the networking of components makes it very easy it to fool the interface that it is recieving such valid signal (e.g.: open or close the COMAND, acrtivate and dial the phone, etc.)

high speed CAN-BUS for the engine and low speed CAN-BUS for the body communicate with each other also, which makes the engine, traction and other safety related item an easy target for the virus. (e.g.: turn on seat heating, unlock the doors, or activate the airbags!).

the main task now is where to store the virus since although we got more than 60 computer module in the car, the memory is very limited. it is more of a hardware than software now. the ideal place now on the central gateway or COMAND.

later i will try to develop a virus and experimentaly keep it inside the memory (actuation).

i prefer to do it on BMW E65 or E66 first because of it's easy and flexible system which is really inviting for those who are willing to try.

Old 02-09-2005, 07:13 PM

The phone has a direct link to the ECU?

Old 02-10-2005, 12:34 AM
Super Moderator

it communicates via CAN, wake-up signal, and D2B (digital optic BUS).

through CAN, the message can be sent/recieve to any of the control module in the car.

i only heard that the bluetooth in new MB now can easily get attacked.

it doesn't take much for a normal hacker to understand the system the car is using.

for example in telestart or remote heating... you start the car or activate the heater via telephone or remote control. these signals travel through CAN also.

Old 02-10-2005, 08:39 AM

I see, I think. But, wouldn't that be like transmitting a virus into my computer through the mouse? Even a wireless mouse wouldn't allow the kind access necessary to upload and run a program. At least it shouldn't. Can MB say "firewall?" I guess it will take an infestation before car makers think the cars are at risk. Then they'll have to clean up a mess instead of prevent one.

Old 02-10-2005, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

before they used to allow us access and ugrade of Star Diagnosis via internet. but now not anymore because of this reason.

if we program the ECU of W240 (Maybach) or R230, it was done online, but now only by CD.

Old 02-10-2005, 12:27 PM

That's through the OBD port. I can understand that.