General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

E430 does not start sometimes ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 08:01 PM
Default E430 does not start sometimes ?

Hello all,

My 1999 E430 is having starting problems. I may go for a lunch, after I come back to my car, the starter crankes but the car won't start. It feels like no gasoline going to my engine. I have to crank it for 10 minutes then it starts. After the start, it drives with no problem. No engine caughing or anything like that. It just does this sometimes. Maybe twice in a week. What do you all think the problem is ? I have been reading the forum here and one person said it could be a fuel pump relay. I got that changed. It was ok for a week then it started doing it again. It just does it intermittently. I am changing the fuel filter as well thinking it may have to do with it but I seriously dought it because like I said, there is no caughing on the engine. Any ideas ?

Old 04-17-2006, 11:14 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: E430 does not start sometimes ?

some of them who got similar problem replaces the crankshaft position sensor and it cures the problem.

Old 04-18-2006, 12:27 PM

Thanks for the info sleepwalker ! Do you know the location of that sensor ? Is it hard to replace ? Can you tell me how to replace it ?

Thanks alot !

Old 04-24-2006, 05:31 PM

My 2000 E430 was having the same issues. I took it to the dealer for warranty work and they replaced the Crankshaft Position Sensor and that fixed the problem and I have not had any issues with starting since then.

Old 04-28-2006, 05:07 PM

Donaciano,
I am thinking about the crankshaft position sensor replaced but the engine light is not on. Isn't the engine light suppouse to be on ? Can you tell me where the sensor is ?

Sleepwalker,

What do you think ?

Old 04-29-2006, 12:15 AM

take a peek here for some great pics on CPS....

CPS at benzw

Old 05-01-2006, 04:21 PM

Wow thanks Raymond ! That is an excellent info. I was able to locate mine. I ordered the sensor online for $60 bucks including shipping. I will let everone know if this solves my problem.

Old 05-08-2006, 04:32 PM

Sorry for the late reply. I was going to tell you that I did not spend time searching for the sensor since the dealer fixed it for me. I am glad that somebody was able to assist you and the help even had pictures which was so freaking user friendly. I hope you get your problem fixed. Please dont quote me on this but when I picked up my car after the repairs the dealership said that they had to do some fine tuning adjustments after the sensor was replaced. I am assuming that it might have to do with the air to fuel mixture or something like that. What it entailed I am not familiar with cause I did not ask. On any case if your problem is fixed then great but if you experience any other symptoms that you would not ordinarily have with your vehicle then you will know that you might have to get it fine tuned like they did mine. The dealer might just be saying a bunch of crap in order to intimidate customers and keep them from fixing their own problems but on the other hand they might have a valid point.

Old 05-12-2006, 02:39 AM

Donaciano,

I have to tell you this. My problem went away ! Yes it was the crankshaft position sensor ! I got the sensor online from www.rockauto.com for $60 shipped. It was a little pain to replace it but Raymon's link helped alot. The car is now as smooth as can be. No more embarrassing moments after lunch ! I did get all the other tunes done already like MAF sensor, spark plugs, etc.

Thanks to All !

Sleepwalker ! Yes you were right !

Old 05-12-2006, 03:06 AM

I am glad it fixed your problem. Yes, it is quite ambarrasing to drive an mb and have it not start in front of a crowd. I am going to possibly get some cross drilled rotors in the future along with a lowering kit. I will take pics while I am doing the installation so you can see just in case you are intersted in doing the same deal. So far I have replaced the following items on my car:

cabin air filter
rear axle oil leak (dealer fixed) starmark warranty
both catalytic converters (under warranty)
CPS Sensor
K&N Air filter
window regulator (dealership warranty)
Tires (nasty vibration taken care of by smart force balancing)
KYB shocks
Headlights (still undecided on which ones to purchase)
bosch spark plugs
gas filter

should you have any questions on any of the stuf just let me know and I will give some insight if I have fixed it already

Quick Reply: E430 does not start sometimes ?