General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Dealer Overfilled Oil in 2006 E350!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 12:12 AM
Default RE: Dealer Overfilled Oil in 2006 E350!

ORIGINAL: fly_major_fly

( yes, oil change job at the dealership nowadays DOES NOT drain oil out anymore. they suck. )

They have been doing that for last 30 years in Germany, I think Zimbabwe is using this technology for some time, so it is about time, US dealers catch up with Africa?

Old 11-18-2005, 12:13 AM

I'm not so confidant in my dealership now either. At least you have oil in the car; they forgot to put the plug back after draining my oil. It wasn't till i got a frantic call from the dealer to hurry come back. I guess someone saw the oil all over the place and a trail following me. Then while trying to make things right someone backed into my car door. Your not the only one depressed now. Good luck as I also drive my C230 loaner.

Old 11-18-2005, 01:47 AM

I think sucking is okay as long as the engine always uses synthetic oil, since there's no sludge. I'd still drain it once in awhile to drain out particulates and impurities. I wouldn't want dino oil sucked out while leaving sludge in the pan, though. I would always drain if I used dino oil. The vast majority of cars in America use dino oil, even M-Bs. Not new M-Bs, but all M-Bs. Don't the M-B dealers suck oil on all the cars they service regardless of oil type?

Were they sucking dino oil out in Germany 30 years ago and leaving the sludge in the pan, or just on the very few engines that used synthetic oil back then? Being first isn't always the smartest thing.

Old 11-18-2005, 02:19 AM

Time goes fast, but didn't synthetics come on the market slightly more, than a decade ago?
Sucking can (doesn't mean will) drain the pan better, than opening the plug hole.
Plugs are having flange, that stick above the pan bottom and always holds some oil. Not to mention, that some engines are having plug on the side, what can leave good cup of oil in the pan. Not that it really matters. As I posted above all fresh oil is harmful to the engine, until it balance the chemicals.
If you have heavy sludge and particles in the pan, that mean you are not using right filters.
We went long way in oils, since I've got my driving license.
SD class oil was making good sludge. Now everybody is selling SJ, or am I behind again?

Old 11-18-2005, 02:44 AM

I think synthetics came around in the early '70s/late '60s. They were expensive and not widely available. I also remember it took some time for people to accept it, to trust it.

When I talk of sludge, I mean build up over time, not between changes. Also, older cars without crankcase ventilation since there are some of those around here too.

I always swap the oil pan plug with a magnetic plug. I have to drain to get the metal particles off of them. There's always some metal on them. I used to use those metal sheets that stick the oil filter, until I threw a few away with the old filters. I got tired of buying new ones.

The plug on pans I've owned are designed to be drained. The plug is always at a low spot. I've never seen the side plug. I'm not saying they don't exist. Obviously draining through a side plug wouldn't be thorough.

Old 11-18-2005, 10:04 AM

Thanks Lugnut...I wondered too why they just didn't suction some out right then and there (that is, except for that 'sand' issue...).

Thanks for you thoughts and ideas everyone. I let you know exactly how the dealership follows up...

Slightly More Relaexed in Greensboro

Old 11-18-2005, 10:09 AM

And thanks Cruzin...it is truly nice to know that there are shops out there that care about 'doing it right', not just 'getting it done'.

I wish your shop was within 100 miles - I'd be there!