General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

current draw from instrument cluster (help)

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 06:03 PM
Default current draw from instrument cluster (help)

I have a 96 C220 with a current draw pulling the battery down. The source of the draw is the lighting of the LCD odometer,time,outside temp displays. These displays should only be on when the ignition is on. When the headlights are on these displays will dim with the instrument
backlighting adjustment, but when ignition is off the backlighting of these three displays are on at full intensity pulling the battery down. Seems as if what ever device givesthese displays power to backlight is the source of the problem orthis device is receiving incorrect information to illuminate these displays when the ignition is in the off position.Do I have a failure in a relay, a short in the instrumment cluster or maybe ign. on information being sent from the ignnition key circut? (all though nothing else isseems to think the ignition is on)Obviusly I do not have a clue! Does anyone have any suggestions on this problem or know of a good sourceof indepth electrical schematics for or troubleshooting this problem ? Any help would be greatful.