General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Connect iPhone, iPod Nano, or nintendo gamecube as video source to RSE

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 07:46 PM
Default Connect iPhone, iPod Nano, or nintendo gamecube as video source to RSE

I can't seem to connect any standard composite AV cables (i.e., red-white-yellow) to the CD/DVD player AV jacks in the rear seat entertainment (RSE) system in my 2007 R-class. There are 2 sets of jacks - one for each monitor on each headrest - but the jacks are flush w/the player and do not allow the plugs to insert completely. Therefore, I cannot get the gamecube, ipod nano, or iphone videos to play on the rear monitors.
I even went out and spent $49 on Apple's proprietary composite AV cable, but the same problem.
The jacks on my tv's at home are not flush w/the tv, so this is not an issue. Is there an AV jack adaptor out there that would help? The service department at my dealership did not know.
Thanks!

Old 05-19-2008, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Connect iPhone, iPod Nano, or nintendo gamecube as video source to RSE

you can retrofit ipod but it is quite complicated. you need to remove many things to install the interface and wiring harness.

version coding is also needed, which means that you have to take it back to the dealer so they can use computer to let the audio gateway recognize the new settings.

the same thing goes when you install dvd player, satellite radio, etc.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1/85DEEF2A8EEA4C5BA356E365A8C624C6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-19-2008, 09:57 PM
Default RE: Connect iPhone, iPod Nano, or nintendo gamecube as video source to RSE

You lost me at 'retrofit'. I have a cd/dvd player w/AV jacks in place. It is supposed to accept any AV cable, but I can't seem to plug any in. The AV jacks are flush with the player, so I can't plug the AV cable in all the way. I'm looking for an adaptor?

Old 05-19-2008, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

those are only for headphones (output).

Old 05-20-2008, 06:16 AM

No, no it isn't. It's a standard set of AV jacks to connect any external video source. They just seem to be too short.
Guess I'll take it into a shop.
Thanks anyway.

(From the Mercedes-Benz COMAND Operator's Manual, page 94: "Two external video sources can be connected to the RSE cd/dvd player via the video and audio (L - left, R - right) sockets located on the front panel. Gently push the video and audio connectors of the external video source into the AUX1 and AUX 2 sockets. The external video source is played back no the monitor switched to the corresponding AUX source.")