General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

CLK Electrical Gremlins

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 08:20 PM
Default CLK Electrical Gremlins

Hello all. My '98 CLK 230K has suddenly developed a whole host of electrical problems. The n/s headlight is dead (fuse and bulb ok), the o/s fog is dead (fuse and bulb ok), the sun roof only opens two inches at a time, the drivers side window goes fully up then drops down an inch, the drivers seat goes forward but not back, and now the final straw - the boot is refusing to give me back my gold clubs!! All fuses look ok (though haven't been able to check the boot) - any help, thoughts, suggestions would be very much apprciated!!!

Old 04-21-2006, 12:46 AM
Default RE: CLK Electrical Gremlins

hey nohope4this1,

My car seems to be going through the same ordeal. I feel for ya. I have had a problem with my mechanical key not working to access the trunk to check the fuses there. I would like to know if you find a solution to your problem. Other problems that I have experienced are the signal lights not working and the windshield wiper not working, both off and on. Again, I know how you feel. Good luck and hope that someone can offer some answers.

sport

Old 04-22-2006, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: CLK Electrical Gremlins

Generally speaking, since several electric devices are on each circuit, there surely must be one faulty device that is causing every device on the circuit to malfunction. If one device is broken or short circuited, it can cause conditions where no voltage, low voltage, not enough voltage, or change in polarity occurs on a circuit, which of course will cause everything on that circuit to go nuts.

Take control of this situation; you might be surprized you can solve the problem.
Write down which devices are malfunctioning. Then look at the fuse panel diagram and see if these devices are protected by the same fuse. If so, the problem may be within that circuit. You can also trouble shoot by process of elimination or deductive reasoning. For example, if you believe the windshield wiper motor is overamping (fried), then disconnect it from the wiring, and see if the other problems go away. You can check each device on the circuit if necessary. If you can download a wiring diagram, you will see other devices which may be affected, and check those.

Check custom stereo, alarm, and amp, installations. Unfortunately alot of problems will lead back to these. Problems like power being tapped from a bad place, loose wires, and damaged wires are actually typical.

Be weary of after market electrical repair parts like relays, bulbs etc; make sure they are not the problem.

Be aware of any damage that may have led to the problem. Was the car damaged recently? Did you run over a stick on the street etc? Was the car repaired for another problem recently?

Worse case, you may have to pop off some panels and physically examine the wires. I have actually seen wires that looked great on the frontside, but when turned over were worn completely through the insulator. So roll the wires in your fingers, and really examine them if you feel you are qualified.

good luck

Blue