General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

CLK 430 Seat won't go back

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 02:20 AM
Default CLK 430 Seat won't go back

Hi all. I've got a 2002 CLK 430 and can't get the driver's side seat to go back. The passenger seat works fine and all other functions of the driver's seat work fine except moving it back. It just stopped working one day. The fuses in the trunk are all good and the motor under the seat 'clicks' quietly when I move the switch (meaning, I assume, the motor is getting power).

The biggest part of the problem is that it's stuck all the way forward so I can't drive it to the shop!

Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

Old 07-03-2006, 03:33 AM
Default RE: CLK 430 Seat won't go back

Looks like you need to find someone small (very) to drive to the dealer!

The click may not be the motor but a relay in the ECU box mounted under the seat. I don't know whether these boxes have relays in them or not.

IF the motor is getting power OK then either the motor must have gone bad or it has got stuck at the end of its travel.
Maybe the current cut off system was not functioning correctly and it is jammed against the end stop or possibly debris (fluff etc) has collected on the drive thread and has got jammed in the drive follower.

If you are a competent DIYer two long shots.

BEWARE: SEAT MECHANISMS CAN EASILY TRAP (CUT OFF) YOUR FINGERS. DO NOT PROCEED UNLESS YOU UNDERSTAND THESE RISKS.

Can you get some "lubricant" to the follower (WD40/penetrating or similar with a straw type delivery tube?) or maybe temperature might make a difference. Warm up (heater) or Cool down AC the car and see if this brings any change. Need to leave car in hot/cold condition for quite a while to allow temperature to do its work.

Unfortunately seat removal will not be possible since you need to motor the seat firstly fully forwards and then fully backwards to gain access to the bolts.

Another long shot if you are competent.
If the ECU box is at fault it may be possible to swap over the output connections between two seat functions. i.e. Swap the up/down and back/forward leads (plugs will be polarised to prevent this so will need to overcome this) just to move the seat.

Good luck.
WATCH YOUR FINGERS!!
SEAT MECHANISMS ARE ACTIVE WITH IGNITION OFF AND DOOR OPEN. CONVENIENCE FUNCTION.

Old 07-03-2006, 04:15 PM

Thanks for the info. Guess I'm going to have it towed to the dealership for a little warranty work

-steve

Old 07-03-2006, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

the motor on your model got tendency to melt the plastic that holds the shaft and get seized.

next time do not actuate the seat motor for more than necessary next time...or release the switch once it get to the end stop.

you cannot remove the seat by yourself now since the other two mounting screwa on the front is cocealed. the seat must be taken out a piece at a time.