General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

CL600 ABC droops after long park

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 09:14 PM
Default CL600 ABC droops after long park

Hi, my new(to me) '02 CL600's right side droops after being parked for a week or more. When I start it, the warning message "Stop! ABC TOO LOW!" is on. I push the ride height adjust button and she perks right back up and runs fine after that. But when I park her for a week or so, again she drops down. Is this normal or is it something I should have the dealer look at?

TIA

Old 06-17-2005, 09:44 PM
Default RE: CL600 ABC droops after long park

sounds lke you got a susp leak..dam time to take it in ...is it under warr..?

Old 06-17-2005, 10:57 PM

I took a 36 month extended warranty from a dealer when I bought the car. I haven't read the policy but it says 99% of the original B to B factory warranty.

Thanks

Old 06-17-2005, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator

you got two ABC valves...front and rear.

first you need to identify which one is leaking. you have to change that one.

on some cases, replacing the PENTOSIN (ABC oil CHF) and filter on the reservoir can fix the problem. you need to leave the car in RODEO for at least half an hour.

at night, park it on a level ground, and put a masking tape on all wheels from fender to the wheel rim.
whichever gives more slack in the morning is the side that drops down.

Old 06-18-2005, 10:28 AM

Sleepwalker...thanks. Easy nuf to tell, the RF is all the way down after a week. So if it's the right side F only and the LF is OK, does that mean it may not be the valve if there's a common valve for both fronts??? Maybe the shock? Anyway, I'll check fluid levels too.

BTW, I was born in RP too. (kababayan!)

Old 06-18-2005, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

the shock absorber never get an internal leak which could bring the height down.
inside is just the plunger sensor and simple valve for hard and soft ride (that ADS switch on the upper console "anti damping system").

the front valve assembly is compose of four solenoids. two for lowering and two for raising up the car. unfortunately you cannot just change the certain solenoid valve, although it is very easy to pull out.

the release (lowering) solenoid for the front right is leaking.

my advise... try doing the actuation of pitch, roll, and rodeo for about 45 minutes after replacing the oil and filter.

sometimes it works on slight problems.

Old 06-18-2005, 11:48 AM

OK, I just gave the ABC and ride height switches a good workout. Checked the fluid level and it's good and looks clean. What's that fluid "petrosin" anyway? Is that available anywhere else except MB?

Thanks again.

Old 06-18-2005, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

pentosin is the oil that ABC uses. not only MB sells it, at least few others too. it's a hydraulic oil and the color is green. we also call it CHF.

you cannot actuate it by using the raise and lower switch. you need a STAR DIAGNOSIS to do it. you will be surprise that your car can actually do the HIP HOP dance! not just the tiptoe that it does with switches.

Old 06-18-2005, 05:50 PM

I decided to change the oil in both the ABC and the Power Steering...I went to CarQuest to find the Pentosin CHF 11S and they did have it for $20. Then I went to Mercedes to get the P/S fluid as spec'd, $30; and when I read the label, it said Pentosin CHF 11S. Same stuff, relabeled and $10 more. !@##@

After "understanding" the dipstick marks, "motor off unladen" and "motor on loaded", it turns out that the ABC reservoir was pretty low. So after sucking out all the old fluid, I filled it to the proper levels. Used 2 1/2 cans between the Power Steering and the ABC. Filters were backordered.

So we'll see next week if it stays up.

Old 06-18-2005, 11:19 PM
Super Moderator

"motor off unladen" and "motor on loaded"
do it with engine running and level down.

and hey... changing it takes at least 4 liters. you need to pull out the return hose which goes on the top of the reservoir. old oil must not be use again because the mineral properties is bad. they have modified it.

Quick Reply: CL600 ABC droops after long park