General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Battery

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Battery

I purchased my vehicle used and when I called the MB dealership, they gave me the code over the phone. I wrote it on the 1800-mercedes sticker located behind the glove box (USA vehicle) so would always have it handy. The drag really comes in if the head unit was previously replaced and your vin does not show the replaced unit's code.[:'(]

Old 11-11-2006, 05:14 AM

DieHard battery DOES have vent because it was designed to replace the ones in Benzes and BMWs. Heck, it even came with the plastic/rubber tubing though it may not fit every European car. DieHard International that I bought plugs right into my 280's battery drain without any problem.

I am on DieHard for 3 years now, and I do monthly run-down check during winter. Here is the way I do it. In one of the coldest days of the month, I run the headlights with high beams on for one hour. Engines OFF. I do this on every car I own. Every battery I own. If the battery fails to crank after this rundown, I replace it immediately.

OEM batteries in Toyotas, Hondas, Pontiacs, and MBs that I owned failed one time or another. Sears' DieHard never quit. Wal-Mart's EverStart is second best next to DieHard (Yes, I have had first-hand experience). They are made by Johnson Controls. I will use them if my life depends on the battery. Not the OEMs! OEMs are made to keep the cost down during the manufacturing of a vehicle model line.

Anyway...here is my rant: Do you know Germans make the worst electrical and electronic components? Worse than the Chinese?

Old 11-11-2006, 05:36 AM

I though you guys over the pond reserved that honour for a certain British company?

Old 11-11-2006, 01:11 PM

ORIGINAL: snanceki

I though you guys over the pond reserved that honour for a certain British company?
WE DON'T HAVE THE HONOR OF OWNING ANY BRITISH ELECTRICAL AND ELECTRONIC PRODUCTS. SO WE DON'T KNOW.

GERMANS....WE KNOW COZ WE HAVE THE DISTINCT HONOR OF DRIVING BMWs AND MBs.

AIRLINES KNOW THAT YOU HAVE MORE PROBLEMS WITH ELECTRONICS AND ELECTRICALS ON AIRBUSes THAN ON AN BOEING.

I myself experienced several flight delays because pilots had to reboot the computer on the A318s. Unheard of on an Boeing.

Old 11-11-2006, 03:04 PM

Interesting balance. Progress vs tried and tested.

Boeing choose not to go fly by wire but in principal (not necessarily during early years practice) such technologies should give demonstrable SAFETY benefits.

Likewise composites vs ally.
Composites are of course lighter / stronger but are difficult to assess in service after an incident.
(so that you can throw away the benefits by loading the plane up with ICE, beds, bars etc...customer comfort... goodies!!)

I'll bet Boeing will follow in due course!
Somebody has to lead!
We can't all be late adopters otherwise we would all be standing still.

Maybe you are sticking with your tried and tested CRT. Mind you Plasma/LCD have come of age.
Next step is LCD with no backlighting and therefore reduced power consumption.

Flack jacket ON.

Stuart

Old 11-13-2006, 12:17 PM

I called MB roadside assistance & they showed up in no time. Battery was changed for $120.00, no labor charge and I am fine. The only thing I forgot to tell them is the CD changer. I may have to call again.
Thank you guys.