General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Alignment question - MBZ Dealer said it didn't matter

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 12:43 AM
Default Alignment question - MBZ Dealer said it didn't matter

The MBZ Dealer said it didn't matter that the "Axle Vehicle level" measurement, on the print out of the "Chassis Alignment Test Sheet" was in the 'red zone', 'before' and 'after' the alignment on my 2003 C230 Sport.
He neverdid explain what the front/rear, right/left "Axle Vehicle level ready for driving" (measured in mm/degrees) really was.
They made an issue of me asking for the alignment specs in the first place. Since the alignment report did not have my Name, VIN, or License plate, I asked for another alignment. The next time the "Axle Vehicle level" was all in the 'green zone' and on spec - he still could not explain what it is, but at least the report had my Name and VIN on it.
My last two sets of tires wore out on the front outside edges - and I figured a MBZ spec's 4-wheel alignment should help. I understand a bit of geometry and I understand the difference in Toe, Camber and Caster, but the 'Axle Vehicle level ready for driving' is a new one on me. Maybe it doesn't matter - I would like to learn what it is.
Any help to look up this term is appreciated!

Old 01-12-2007, 02:39 AM
Default RE: Alignment question - MBZ Dealer said it didn't matter

Hi,
I would have been as suspicious as you were when presented with the potentially "incorrect" read out. And YES it does matter if the axes are incorrectly set....dependent upon what you are trying to measure.

The problem with vehicle geometry is "What are the datum axes of the car" or in other words what is the reference against which vehicle geometry is measured?

For instance and to possibly answer your concern re "axle level" lets consider CASTOR (or CASTER as you refer to it in the USA!).

CASTOR (is the angle of the king pin and provides self centering to the steering. The larger the angle the more self centering.
MB consider the datum to be level door sills since if for what ever reason the front or rear springs do not give exactly the correct fitted length (and of course this changes with loading and manufacturing tolerances) the measured CASTOR angle will be incorrect.

This also goes for CAMBER which is the angle of the wheel/tyre relative to the ground. However during measurement the measuring devices are attached to the car (wheel/tyre) and it is important that the LH and RH units are at the same height relative to the ground otherwise the measured angle will be incorrect. (Unlikely that the wheel/tyre size is different side to side unless a tyre is flat etc.)
Simarly in plan view (of the car) the longitudinal and transverse axes need to be defined otherwise individual tow in will be incorrect.
MB's specify individual wheel toe in / out rather than the old fashioned included angle on the front and "no adjustment": capability on the rear.
The reason for individual angles is to ensure that the steering wheel points straight as you drive (and doesn't pull / veer etc.
On the rear it is to ensure that the vehicle doesn't crab or I think you call it in the USA dog trot (sideways).

Hope this helps a bit in clarifying your concern. If not I'll have another go.

Stuart

Old 01-22-2007, 08:49 PM
Default RE: Alignment question - MBZ Dealer said it didn't matter

a 2003 c 230 sport is a c with stiff suspension , harder springs. i.e like amg suspension but not really
it is some what normal for outside front tire wear on benzes most people run low tire pressure i always set it to 36 psi then when you read your service interval(a/b at 10k) the air is 30 unless you got a nail.
now depending on the model and tpe of tire you got michlin , firestone, continental, kuhmo( the worst tire on this car ) or dunlop , they will were differently and some start tire pulling after awhile.
the best tire i seen on this car is michlin mxv4 or the best and best in price is the conti sport its a great tire good miliage as long as your thrust angle on the print out is as close to 0.00 you'l be ok you want alittle more caster on the rt side a difference of .5 - .9 ' between rt/lt and camber in the green if all that is there youll be ok . just maintain 36 psi .
as for ride height that is predetermined by factory angle or height of lower arm to frame can be measured from ground to frame but who cares it does not affect the ride or alignment that much unless you in a o g low rider