General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Adding aftermarket heated seats, airbag question...?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 12:44 PM
Default Adding aftermarket heated seats, airbag question...?

So decided to go with Check Corporation premium 3 tempheated seats kit for my '04 CLK 500... The instructions state to remove and isolate the battery ground, pump the brakes, wait 5 minutes for the system to discharge before disconnecting any airbag sensors... I'm not disconnecting any airbag sensors that I know of under the seats, just the power seats harnesses... Anybody know for sure...? [&:] Disconecting the batt will wipe out all my memory seat and stereo settings but I guess it's better than having the airbags go off as I have airbags all over this car...

Old 12-19-2006, 12:49 PM
Default RE: Adding aftermarket heated seats, airbag question...?

Posed this question to my local MB Dealer Service Mngr and he said " have an MB Service Tech do the job" officially... Unofficially, he said no issue with airbags and removing the seats as long as I don't turn the ignition on or it will cause SRS codes due to the disconnected seats harness... He also stated to make sure NOT to mess with the crash sensor located under the center console...! [:-] "KA-POW" ... That would suck, eh...?

Old 12-27-2006, 04:30 PM

So it turns out there was no problem withremoving the seats to install the heated seats kits andeffecting thedoor mounted airbags... Got the job finished Saturday and while it takes awhile, there were relatively no problems to speak of... The biggest issue I ran into was that the hood release cable didn't get re-installed correctly and the hood would not stay closed on the drivers side and the windshield wipers didn't work because of it...
SMD

Old 12-28-2006, 01:46 PM

How hard was it to take the seat apart? Especially getting the covering off the seats? Any potential pitfalls to avoid?

Thanks.