General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

89 w126 SRS ABS light on, Lights Dim, Battery dies, radio and AC turns off.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 12:43 AM
Default 89 w126 SRS ABS light on, Lights Dim, Battery dies, radio and AC turns off.

OK, I have an 1989 420sel with 141k miles on it. The car has been perfect until the rains came to Colorado this past week. I got gas, left the gas station, turned on my windshield wipers and the headlights. My car started to fog up on the inside, so I turned on my deforster. All of a sudden the radio cut out and the climate control system stopped working and I noticed the SRS and ABS indicator lights were lit. My lights dimmed and my rpm gauge went hay wire. I drove the 4 miles to my house and turned the car off. The rain stopped and I decided to see if "hopefull", yet stupidly, the problem had fixed itself. The car drove fine for a mile, then the problem started up again. I returned home, let the car sit for a few hours, NOW the Battery is dead.

Long Story short, I researched online and it sounded like the Over Voltage Protection Relay or OVP relay. I bought a used but working one this morning. I took the old one out and replaced it. I charged the battery. The car seemed to be working fine. I drove for thirty minutes and the lights dimmed, srs and abs lights lit, radio went off, and the windows were slow to roll up. Got back online. Sounded like the Alternator, bought an alternator, installed it, charged the battery, did voltage tests, and every thing seemed to be fine.

Decided to go for one more drive. THE CAR DROVE PERFECTLY, the best ever for 45 minutes, then, lights dimmed, srs and abs light came back on, radio turned off as well as the heater. Battery dead after car turned off. Voltage said battery at 13.6. ANY IDEAS. ???? I have already spent 200 bucks on this today, and I am hoping I do not get the pleasure of purchasing a battery tomorrow?

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT!

Old 04-26-2010, 09:21 AM

It sounds like you have a charging problem. Your alternator is not charging the battery. Sounds like the battery is ok. As you charge it everything works fine. As you drain it down while driving the battery goes dead. You could try and see if you can buy a voltage regulator which mounts to the back of the alternator. Save some $. Good lucck.+