General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

722.9 Upgrades?Shift kits?Programming??????

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 05:10 PM
Default 722.9 Upgrades?Shift kits?Programming??????

I am trying to find SOME kind of way to improve the shifting in my C230 Sport. When i first got the car it would "chirp" second in S mode and manual. After a recent software update it shifts like a "boring grandma's car". After taking it back to the dealer they said everything checked out and needs to be relearned...so I have been driving like an La Mans driver to hopefully teach some "SPORT" shifting but, after two weeks the same. Back to the dealer same story and the service manager thought it was a strange request for me to want firmer/quicker shifting. I'm planning a fluid and filter service soon. Before I take off the pan, I was hoping someone might know of a few tweaks to raise the line pressure without setting codes or, if the only way is through programming. I know it's not a race car and that most Mercedes owners complain about hard shifts but, I think a "SPORT" should shift...well..."SPORTY". Thanks for any help with my "strange request".

Old 07-20-2010, 09:39 PM

Not sure for your car, but do a search for "reset". If not found at this forum, try other benz forums.

There is a procedure for resetting the trans. Something like turn key to position 1, gas pedal to floor for 20 seconds, turn key off with gas pedal still on floor for another two minutes, turn key off but leave it in for two minutes. wait a while, then go drive the snot out of it.

Different models have different instructions.

There is also a way to pre-program shifts, but it takes lots of resets, long stretches of uninterupted roads, and time. I've never done this but heard it works.

I've done the reset on my 210 and my kid's C32. It works. But you have to find the correct procedure for your model. I am surprised your stealer did not reset it for you.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:40 PM
Thumbs up

Thanks for the information. I'll definitely do that! Most of all the searches I've done, has only turned up people complaining about hard shifts. I knew at least one person thinks like I do! Thanks again.