General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

280 SL Engine Running Rough

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 02:41 PM
Default 280 SL Engine Running Rough

I have 2 questions:

I have a 1985 280 SL, it has been sitting in either my garage or in a storage shed for a few years. It's a beautiful car and i have run it off and on during this period and driven somealso. The problem is that it runs good for about 2 1/2 miles then it starts to sputter. I have changed the gas, fuel pump, fuel filter and plugs. It starts up like a champ, just turn the key without sitting in it and it fires right up. Just can't ffigure out why it starts running rough after a few miles.

I must also say that when we drained the gas out, at first it ran out with a force and then at the last 2 1/2 gallons it trickled out.
Don't know if this could be a vent problem in the gas tank or not and if so where is the vent located on the tank?

My power windows are stuck in the down position. The 2 switches are located on the center console.

Seems like i had this problem before and kept working the switches back and forth and the windows started working. I have tried that with no results.
Are there relays located somewhere that could be the problem? I just don't see both switches could go bad at the same time and there are no blown fuses that i can see.

This is a grey market car we are talking about.

Any help would be very much appriciated.

Tom