General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

2014 E250 gas splashing like crazy from bottom middle part of the car

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2021, 04:48 PM
Default 2014 E250 Put Unleaded Gas Into Diesel Tank

hi, first time posting here.

i have a 2014 e250 bluetec with 48k miles. while i was driving yesterday, the diesel fuel splashed out from the bottom middle part of the car that made my full tank of fuel nearly emptied in 5 minutes! the check engine light was on and the acceleration couldn't pass 30 mph!

i had done the AEM recall in june 2021, and in august 2021, i accidentally put unleaded gas in this diesel tank, and the dealership had to drop the tank and cleaned everything out (suspension components and blow out all the lines, etc...).

would this fuel splashing be caused by any jobs that were done by the dealership? thanks!

Situation: when i accidentally put unleaded gas into the diesel tank less than a month ago, i didn't turn on the engine, and immediately had it towed to the dealership for repair. however, the towing guy did accidentally turn on the engine for one second and immediately shut it down when he was trying to put the car to neutral for towing...

Update 1: got the diagnosis from the dealership. "Found 2 failing fuel lines going from fuel tank to high pressure pump leaking!" with the unleaded gas be immediately removed and all system cleaned, is it possible for these plastic lines to be damaged like this?

Update 2: the dealership that my car is currently at says they found no causal factor or responsibility on the dealership, who did the repair, for the needed repair!

Update 3: reported to mercedes usa headquarter but the "highest" person i can go replied that since there is nothing hq can do! so it's ok for two fuel lines to break at the same time and possibly caused deadly accident! i told that person that if no one is at fault, then it might be a bigger problem, because it might be a bad design that needs to be recalled to prevent any accidents. but that rep just ignored me! i guess mb owners life don't matter!

Update 4: got the car fixed, hopefully, and the shop foreman stated that there is no sign of damage visually or in the locking function of the plastic lines. there is no sign of damage to the internal seals of the lines and the steel fuel lines. however, the plastic fuel line disconnects within a minute when running the engine! due to there are no visible damages to the plastic line, the shop foreman suspected the incorrect fuel has jeopardized the integrity of the plastic material of the fuel line, causing it to be unable to withstand the operating fuel pressure. does it make any sense at all?! at least it doesn't make sense to me. every time when i asked if there is any possibility that this could be a human error, by previous repair shop, they never gave me an answer and just jump straight to the incorrect fuel. i strongly felt that dealerships are trying to cover for each other... i kept both "failed" plastic fuel lines with me hoping i will be able to investigate further.

Last edited by meno; 09-17-2021 at 12:23 AM. Reason: clarify and update