General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

1993 190E Fuel pump electrical

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2022, 10:41 AM
Default 1993 190E Fuel pump electrical

Hello all,

Not to bore you with the details, but a little background. This car belongs to my aunt and uncle and I did replace the fuel pumps and related items a couple years ago and everything was good; however, due to health issues it never got driven--started once in a while but never driven. So a few months ago my uncle asked me to check it out, said it wouldn't start and thought it was something to do with the fuel pumps. Well, since they weren't going to drive it and they were not in any hurry to get it fixed I didn't get to it and my uncle passed away and the car is going to their grandson. I was hoping to figure out what the problem is and get it running before they come to get it.

So anyway, I checked it out a couple days ago and the pumps don't seem to be coming on--I can't hear them anyway. I figured it was a fuse, but there are no fuses/relays that are marked for the fuel pumps in the fuse box, and all the fuses looked fine. Also, according the owners manual there is only one fuse box, if that's incorrect maybe there's a fuse for the pumps in another fuse box? There are other relays in the general area of the fuse box and one of those I believe is bad--it was very hot and seemed to energize instantly when plugged into the socket, even with the key off. I'm not sure if this relay has anything to do with the fuel pimps or not, but I have one on order. I can't upload a pic of the relay due to it wont accept the file type, but it's a 5 pin 12v 20A/30A relay. I didn't take a pic of the relay location but can if that would help in the diagnosis, although it would also probably be the wrong file type.

So my questions to the group are these: does this relay go to the fuel pumps? If not is there another fuse/relay somewhere else that might be the culprit--maybe a fusible link? Other thoughts?
Thanks