General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

1900.00!!! The one with the lights staying on!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 04:48 PM
Default 1900.00!!! The one with the lights staying on!

Below is my original post....They are telling me the seal in the trunk leaked allowing water into the trunk and some "brain" got soaked...and it is 1900 to replace...and they know it is a problem for some in the past so now they have a better design so hopefully that cannot happen again...the car is just 3 months out of warranty!...and this is obviously a design error (It rained the other night...it hardly ever rains in southern california...so i guess it just happened right after the warranty and the next rainfall!)...they now make the wires longer put it higher and at a different angle in case leaking happens again....I think if this is such an obvious problem mercedes should foot the bill...what do you think?...and what is my best way of going about this...I already asked them...and am waiting hours so far for their reply to my request...
this is my original post
I noticed my tow light kill light come on while driving the other night...and it stayed on. I got home, went to lock the doors and it made the clicking noise but the locks did not work. The locksalso could not open or close from inside the car with the unlock button. The parking lights would not go out. I had to disconnect the battery...HELP! I do not have an owner's manual here. It is a 2003 slk320....

Old 10-17-2007, 03:48 AM
Default RE: 1900.00!!! The one with the lights staying on!

Hi Happyha,

So my diagnosis was spot on.

The next bit of interesting info is that the problem has not been put to bed on the new model R171. Yours is a R170.

The cost of the new brain (PSE) is not as high I you identify. 5 mins DIY job. Parts cost is high but only a fraction of what you ident. eBay often have "used" units. Often a good way forward but you have to be able to trust the source of the used parts.

Stuart

Old 10-17-2007, 07:19 PM

yes...it is the pse pump....they are telling me the part is less than 600 but they are doing modifications to the installation...turning it over...different angle, etc ...they are picking up the cost of labor...so the job is still costing me 1040.09.....wahhhhh...and there ya have it..still trying to get mercedes to pick up the whole course as it is an obvious design error.

Old 10-18-2007, 12:22 AM

Hi,

All you need to do is to place a polythene bag over the unit with the wires "sealed" using silicon sealer or similar.

5 min job!!. The new PSE just plugs in after you have checked connector is dry/clean of any corrosion.

However if your boot seal is leaking then this should be corrected otherwise you will end up with water in the car and problems like misting up / bad smell. Do you park on your drive or elsewhere facing down hill by any chance?

I recon they are about to rip you off big time!

Stuart.