General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

126 Fuse Box Removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 09:45 PM
Default 126 Fuse Box Removal

Hello Everyone, I've never posted here and need some help. I'm very mechanically sound and have a ton of tools, so I don't consider myself a newbie mechanic. I did a search and couldn't find anything. I'm doing a full restore of a 1984 300SD. This includes changing the color from white to black. I'm stripping the entire car down to bare metal and also replacing every rubber piece I can which brings me to this problem.Currently,the only thing left in the engine compartment is the fuse box.I want to be able to have it out of the way to strip the paint and refinish it. Also, the rubber grommets on the fuse box need replace as well as the grommet that connects the box to the firewall. Does anyone have any suggestions about removing the fuse box? I don't want to pull all of the wire from the interior. Has anyone ever done this? If so did you bite bullet and pull all the wire or did you cut the wire and use water proof connectors? I'm thinking of cutting the wires and installing heat shrink water proof connectors, or possibly going with cannon plugs. All help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Poolman7

Old 05-27-2007, 01:14 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 126 Fuse Box Removal

Hi pool man,

I had pulled an engine-bay fuse box; I was looking for an electrical wiring problem. Ididn't completely remove it from the car, because there was just enough wire to turn it 45 degrees to look under it. I would absolutely NOT cut the wires even if you are an ace solderer, in my opinion the probability for electrical trouble is high enough without adding more connections. That's just my opinion. But there has to be a way to unsnap the stock connectors from the fuse box, and pull them out from behind. I have done this on other connectors; there is ussually a tiny tab on each connector that you have to push in with a mini-screwdriver or scribe, and then pull it out from behind. Crikey, I guess you better buy a roll of those adhesive wire ID numbers.I'll look at one tomorrow and see if they snap-out the same way if you give me some pool tips.

Blue

Old 05-28-2007, 12:01 AM

Thanks for the advice Blue. I really don't want to cut anything and when I have to, I'm a label and digital picture freak. My whole computer has more pics of my car on it than anything else. I've pretty much figured out how to move the fuse box around to strip the paint and to then reprime and finish the area. My problem is the big rubber grommet that connects the fuse box to the firewall. I want to replace that cause it has a hole it in. And I've yet to find a good solution to this other than pulling the wire through that hole. I may have to just bite the bullet and get the label maker fired up.
Thanks again, stay in touch. I need some friends on here, and I'm full of pool tips whenever you need em.

Old 05-28-2007, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator

I bet that gasket will be nearly impossible to get. I know MB says they can get anything, but I have actually not been able to get a couple of things, like the fire-wall insulation pad behing the engine.

I'll be working on mine today too. I'll look at mine. I'm still thinking the sections pop out of the fuse box, and can be pulled back through the fire wall.

Blue

Old 08-20-2009, 07:41 AM
Default Fuse box removal

Hi I'm new to this forum and I too need to move the fuse box in my 1988 300SE in order to weld underneath.
Any help would be appreciated

Don1609

Old 08-20-2011, 09:01 PM

hi i am a new also. 1986 sdl jusdt bought it.love it. invested already 3 k .
my fuse for blower is bad and melted housig (25 amp). I would like to bay pass housig and instal fuse holder for this circuit.i have to remove the fuse box in order fo find the hot wirefot the blow motor.please help me