General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

04 CLK fender paint is dull

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 11:46 AM
Default 04 CLK fender paint is dull

Hi Everyone, I have a 04 clk500 that is Black non-metalic. I had someone rub my front driver side fender and it now has a slight rub on it. I took some polishing compound and applied it to bring out the marks, but it didnt work. Took some rubbing compound, rubbed it in and kinda took the mark out but now its really dull on the paint. Is there something that I can get to make the shine come back after using rubbing compound. I used some more polishing and wax but once it dries up that corner looks dull again.

Also my front bumper has so many rockchips they look really small and I was wondering If anyone has the same thing on there benz as well. And wanted to find out if anyone fixed it or buffed it out or something?

Thanks for you help guys.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:07 AM
Default RE: 04 CLK fender paint is dull

Kid:
Before you do anything else I would get the car to a professional detailer to see if the luster can be returned to your fender. Rubbing compounds are abrasive by nature and work by taking away some of the paint. If you get too aggressive you can remove all of the paint or at least enough to permanently change the appearance. Depending on the current condition of your paint it may be rejuvenated with a good polish, but frankly I woudl recommend you have someone with experience perform the job.
As for the rock chips, you could have the bumper skin refinshed, or you might try to find someone to touch it up. Your detailer can probably recommend someone who perfroms this service for dealers.
I hope this helps.
T