Exterior Talk about your rims, body kits, lighting effects and other exterior mods here.

Hood Emblem and Cargo Net

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 04:14 PM
Default Hood Emblem and Cargo Net

I wanted to change the hood emblem on our 2005 C240 wagon from the upright star to the smoother look of the flat emblem. I got the flat emblem which appears to be the one that everybody offers (press-on emblem, metal base with two white inserts for the emblem, black bracket w/single nut). It claims to be an original Mercedes part (made in Spain), but I was surprised the emblem itself was ABS plastic and not metal like the original. The emblem itself is also too big to fit in the recess on the hood for the upright emblem, so it lays on top of the hood.

Is this the way it works, or is there a flat emblem that is sized to fit in C-class hood recess? Is the actual Mercedes part plastic, or am I being ripped off?

Also, has anyone tried attaching the C-class sill cargo net (the vertical net with the pouch) to the wagon? I was told this would work, but although I can attach the bottom hooks of the net to the rear "D'-rings, there are no obvious attachment points to install the hooks that hold the top of the net.

Thanks,

Bob

Old 04-23-2005, 05:35 PM
Default RE: Hood Emblem and Cargo Net

I own a 99 C280 and swapped out the standup hood star for the flat emblem. Mine is made of metal. When I ordered it there were no specs for any particular model. But I would rather have the plastic one. This is my second metal one as the clearcoat and blue paint of the star wore off on the first, now the replacement after two years is doing the same thing. Where did you get yours?

I wanted to change the emblem when I got the car, some people thought I was nuts to change it on a classic box'd Mercedes, but it does give the hood a smoother and longer look. As the standing STAR broke the hood line visually as to make the hood look shorter.

There's no special trick to mount these emblems, but when I did my first one I didn't completely seat the white plastic inserts completely as a result the emblem didn't sit correctly; and it does over hang the edge of the hole, and doesn't sit flush in the hole. Perhaps this is why you are thinking it is too big. TTBOMK there isn't a flush mount and I never saw a stock Mercedes which has the star grille, with a flush emblem. You're going to change the grille to a STAR grille? A must, star grille, flat emblem, talk star emblem, bar grille. Beckkers has some real nice carbon fiber grille, I've seen the W202 & 3 with bars, but it might not hurt to asked if they have a star one to fit the frame or if your handy, dremel a STAR grille to fit the your model W203. Please let me know where you bought the plastic emblem? Many Thanks!!!

Old 04-23-2005, 07:57 PM

Park Place in Texas:

http://mb.parkplacestores.com/

So far, good response/customer service, quick response to emails.

They *do* have the star grille for the C-class, but I don't think it looks appropriate on the wagon. I also think the upright star looks out of place on the wagon, a bit ostentatious for such a small car and too formal for such a sleek design.

The emblem does fit flush against the hood and no one would know it wasn't standard, but it would look more refined if the flat emblem fit in the recess.

Old 04-24-2005, 09:28 PM

Just checked out the site, thanks, I looked under the C class I have a 99. The pick is the same as other sellers have. If it is plastic for my car I going to order it.

As I said, the next time you see a emblem model from the factory, I'll bet the emblem is not flush with the hole. You have me curious now, I'll have to take a look myself.

Old 08-05-2005, 02:43 PM

http://www.formymercedes.com/mb.asp

Half price

Old 08-05-2005, 11:39 PM

On every thing or just the cargp net and hood emble?

Old 08-17-2005, 01:58 AM

I recently ordered the flat emblem for my 1999 C280 from mymercedes.com. The emblem was delivered within 3-5 days and was as described on the website. I prefer the flat emblem over the star. My brothers give me too much crap for having a formal looking hood ornament - I'm only 30 years old. I installed the emblem and holder in about 5 minutes, and think it makes the front and side profile more sporty. Good luck with your decision!!!

Old 08-20-2005, 07:14 PM

ORIGINAL: BobY

Also, has anyone tried attaching the C-class sill cargo net (the vertical net with the pouch) to the wagon? I was told this would work, but although I can attach the bottom hooks of the net to the rear "D'-rings, there are no obvious attachment points to install the hooks that hold the top of the net.

Thanks,

Bob
I had the same 'problem' with my SL 55 AMG. But there is a hooking point on each of the two stationary arms that help lift the boot lid. Maybe it is the same on the C.