Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

wont turn off with key

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 08:27 AM
Default wont turn off with key

I just bought this 190 D, and the only real quirk with it is that it doesn't shut off with the key. The guy I bought it from, had run a wire from inside the cabin to the engine bay to the fuel pump/or pressure regulator. When you pull the wire from inside the car it basically makes the car stall out. Now I doubt I'll pass the safety inspection with this. What sort of reasons would prevent the car from not turning off with the key?

Thanks.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: wont turn off with key

Turning off the car is vacuum controlled soone of the vacuum lines has most likely either come off, is leaking severely, or you need to replace the vacuum. I think the vacuum is connected to the fuel pump, but I'm not sure what the vacuum's name is. It might be easier just to check if any of the plastic tubular lines is loose.

For right now there are two ways to go about turning the car off.Below the metal intake manifold there is an emergency shut-off lever that you have to hold down fora second to two, then you could always block incoming air traveling into the plastic intake near the right side of your headlight/foglight. Disconnecting the battery with the engine running can wreck your voltage regulator and alternator, and be dangerous.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:39 PM

Sweet thanks. I followed the cable this guy had run and it pulls on what must be that shut off lever. Until I fix the vaccum problem can I get by using the shut off (as long as I turn the car off before disconnecting the batter)?

Old 02-03-2008, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, the shut off valve won't hurt the car. I believe it just starves the car of fuel until it dies. You won't have to disconnect the battery either.

btw, do you have pics of the car? What's the color and vin?

Old 02-03-2008, 04:26 PM

I haven't taken pics of it yet. Just finished with some body work, but the car really is in nice shape. Its sort of a tan color, with grey trim. Interior is black and in great shape.

Old 02-03-2008, 05:21 PM

Attached to the ignition is a vacuum valve, it an easy fix. take off the cover on around the key ignition. two bolts hold it on with a in and out vacuum line. This acuates the kill for the car.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:08 PM

Basically I need to trace the vaccum line starting at the ignition and find the leak? Sounds easy enough. Anybody know where I can get a schematic of the engine. I ordered the haynes manual for the car but that won't be here for another week.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

Here'sa free online manual that you can download from Mercedes. It's like two hundred and something megabytes with tons of PDF schematics and diagrams. Just click the link then on the next page right click and save as

http://modtech.us/w201-mercedes-shop-manual.html

Old 02-05-2008, 07:03 PM

Sounds like a vacuum leak or a vacuum pump problem.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:31 PM

So I followed the vaccum line through the firewall and to the front of the enginer where it splits into 4 lines. 1 of the lines isnt' connected to anything, 1 connected in the front of the motor, and the other 2 run all the way along the back of the motor to the left side (if your facing the front of the car) and are connected to what I can only guess is the vaccum pump. I'm guessing that the unconnected line is the problem. Only trouble is I can't for the life of me figure out where the connection is supposed to be. Blast!!!

Quick Reply: wont turn off with key