Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

what's the best wvo conversion kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 04:11 PM
Default what's the best wvo conversion kit

I want to try out WVO conversion, and have 3 MB's I may ultimately do it to, a wagon and 2 sedans. I've been trying to research the several conversion systems available, notably greasel, greasecar, and frybrid. There seems to be lots of generic discussion of WVO but I haven't found any comparisons of the various retrofit systems. Has anybody had the opportunity to compare actual installed systems and form any conclusions about what is currently the best product?

Old 03-08-2006, 08:26 PM
Default RE: what's the best wvo conversion kit

Speaking with experience and moderate espretise- Frybrid is by far the best kit out there. Greasel isnt bad but is costly, and greasecar is nice but has some samll issues, yet is cheap. The problem with frybrid is it is an expensive kit and very hard to aprehend. The guy who sells them is not the easiest to work with and you may have allot of trouble actualy recieving your order. However, if you do succeed and spend the extra time and money- you will have the best kit out there. The foreign kits are all trash. Dont go with a main tank conversion.

anywuestions- id love to help uw thi them

Old 03-09-2006, 12:18 PM

Greasel is the cheap one.

The answer depends on your climate and model you want to run on wvo.

I think the best one is the one you design.

I bought a greasel kit as my 1st kit because it was the cheapest. I now only have the hoses and filter left from that kit.
Read up all you can on wvo. The hardest part is in the oil collection and filtering.
Biggest cost will be in the vo tank unless you go to plastic tanks.

If I were to convert an old MB today I would get 2 FPHE ~$60 ea. VO filter ~$120. switching valve ~$30 to $120 and a al. tank~$300, misc hoses & clamps ~$100 and call it done.

Old 03-09-2006, 05:03 PM

If I were to convert an old MB today I would get 2 FPHE ~$60 ea. VO filter ~$120. switching valve ~$30 to $120 and a al. tank~$300, misc hoses & clamps ~$100 and call it done.
[/quote]

what is a fphe?

Old 03-09-2006, 05:28 PM

Flat Plate Heat Exhanger.
Coolant flows the odd or even number plates, VO thru the other set and gets heated.

Old 03-10-2006, 07:42 PM

For 1600$ u can get a professionaly installed greasecar kit with no headaches or issues, with support as well. Though frybrid is by far the best built kit, its also the most expensive. then thers greasecar which is second best but least expensvie, then thers gresael- more money but lower quiality. you may be able to find a greasecar kit on eBay

Old 03-10-2006, 07:47 PM

where have you gotten the parts that cheaply? by the time you pay shipping, it looks to me like the fphe's are over $100 per, and the filter more than double that. and where can you get HIH hose except from the kit sellers?

anybody have any thoughts about rectangular tank mounted directly behind rear seat vs. round tank mounted in spare tire well?
and what does one do about a tank for a wagon that won't ruin one's hauling space?

Old 03-11-2006, 11:58 AM

FPHE in group but at the 'other' forum.
Filter on ebay.
HIH or HOH will cause another debate...I have both. easy HIH is a copper or al tube going thru a rubber heater hose. The ends are Ts w/ compression fittings...
What temps do you see during the winter? A FPHE right at oil pu and one right before engine should be okay for HOH except for the coldest places.
I have seen tanks for wagons the mount one wheel well...watch for hot tanks inside the car during summer.
I have a rectangular tank behind the rear seat but in a sedan.

Old 03-11-2006, 07:01 PM

Montana, but in the Banana Belt region thereof, so while absolute zero is the bottom limit, there's probably only 2 weeks a year here below zero and less than 2 months total days below freezing, with another several months of chilly nights. My MB diesels (on #2 diesel) start readily down to about 20, and with some effort from there down to around 0. Below that there's an array of problems that crop up--so in brass monkey weather I don't usually bother and drive gasoline cars instead.

I have several clients who own Chinese restaurants, so I have a good pipeline to lots of primo WVO.

I see Greasel sells HOH for almost $8/ft. Do you know of a cheaper source?

Old 03-13-2006, 12:00 PM

Any auto parts store. Greasels HOH is the best part of their kit. I thought the price dropped after the first foot but I may be wrong. In a wagon do you plan to route the lines inside or outside the car?

Quick Reply: what's the best wvo conversion kit