Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Water on backseat floor

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 04:07 AM
Default Water on backseat floor

Greetings -

I own a 78' 300D. Everytime it rains I am getting water on my backseat floor. I have checked the drains that I am aware of. Can anyone tell me of all known locations where I could be taking in water? I am also thinking that the front or rear windshield can have a leak from a dried out seal.

Thanks -

Old 01-08-2007, 08:12 AM
Default RE: Water on backseat floor

Me, too. 78 300 CD as well. I am wondering if there is a drain that connects to the rear vent behind the drip trim behind the rear windows. I also get water in the wells on either side of the trunk. There is a drain there, but I don't think the water should be getting in in the first place.

Old 01-08-2007, 01:23 PM

My '82 240D also.Previous owner kept the car outside at least part of the time, so enough rust formed to ruin rear outside seat mount. I welded in a repair piece to fix the seat mount.Even though my car is now garaged 100% of the time I would still like to know the source of this minor but devious water leak.

Old 01-08-2007, 01:30 PM

I have had a number of these cars, both 115 and 123 models and the only one that hasn't leaked back there is my 123 wagon.

I have replaced window seals, trunk seals, checked sunroof drains, fuel door drains all to no avail.

finally drilled a couple of holes in the floor. Problem solved
[align=left] [/align]

Old 01-08-2007, 10:27 PM

Thanks for the replies..

I don't have a sunroof on my car and I have thought about drilling a hole in the floor. I spoke with a friend of mine that mentioned about the window vent and I have blown them out and dried to get in there with a hanger. I did get some crap out. Not sure if thats my main source. I think my next move is going over to a window guy and have him pop out the windshield and have him re-seal it. I don't want to start getting rusty floors.

Old 01-08-2007, 10:36 PM

have him do the rear window too. very popular spot for leaks My bod man has had to chase leaks there even after new glass and rubber

good luck
[align=left] [/align]

Old 01-08-2007, 10:53 PM

will do. thanks for the input.. when I get it done, I will post my results!

Old 01-17-2007, 02:13 AM

my '78 300D had that same problem, somehow the water was coming in through the trunk lid and making its way all the way to the front floorboards. I never did really fix the leak, but I did fund two drainplugs on each "well" on the sides of the trunk that when removed allowed the water to run out rather than to pool and leak into the cab.

Old 01-17-2007, 06:20 AM

I do not seem to have any water issues in the trunk, but I plan to go over to a window guy and get an estimate and have him check out my back and front windshield.

Old 02-08-2007, 11:37 AM
sfk

Yes, I've had a 1981 and a 1975 and a 1984 Mercedes 240D as well as currently a 1979 and 1980 Mercedes 300SD. They've all had this problem with water getting in on the floor of the Mercedes.

MY bigest problem has been with the water leaking in through the front windshield. PLEASE notice when it rains if you see water dripping in at the bottom corners of your window (near the inspection sticker).

THIS is CLASSIC problem.

The water than drips to the floor and than back to under the seat.

I fixed this by buying black sealent from walmart $3.00 per tube. One tube should do it. I then sealed completely around the window. I HAD to especially do between the metal trim that goes against the paint of the car. I also sealed up where the water drips down on the side of the windshield. Filled it all in.
It doesn't look that bad BUT it worked. This is after many many attempts of keep adding the RTV till I got it to stop.

Try then hitting it with a water hose. Start from the bottom of the windshield and work yourself up.

Also, Water getting in the trunk. This water should be staying in the trunk. The trunk (where spare tire is has a drain that you can pull). Trunk problem is also classic.
FIRST, make sure the channel is cleaned out all the way around (along edge of where the trunk shuts, on the bottom side. especially the corners, leaves and stuff plug up there).
SECOND order a new trunk gasket and replace.
THIRD check to make sure the channel isn't so rusted water is dripping righ in. If so RTV it.

Scott

My solution

Quick Reply: Water on backseat floor