Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Should I buy? 1980 240D

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 07:46 PM
Default RE: Should I buy? 1980 240D

Wolf off course people of all ages make accidents, but I know about several accidents, that might be avoided if the teenager would have slower car.
Few years ago in Pleasant Hill, CA young driver reached speed about 70 MPH on street shorter, than 1/2 mile.
Lost control on the turn, surrounded by 7' dia eucalyptus trees. The tree was stronger, than the car and 3 kids inside.
Another one in Danville. Young driver got his father Mercedes and drove over 60 on 45 MPH street. Lost control on slippery turn and wrapped the car with himself on oak tree.
I remember my oldest son doing his first steps. He wasn't crazy, but while driving the car I gave him, he find out backing up at the gate, to make it clearly thru too much to bother. It is much easier to push the fender against the gate. He rear-ended a lady on stop lights. Why? Because in cold weather he had windshield fogged and learning how to defog it was too much to bother. He takes much better care about the cars, that he had to work for. Now he even sold Mitsubishi 3000 and bought Ford pickup. Got rear-ended by teenager on stop light.
I guess the World keeps on spinning around.

Old 10-06-2005, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Should I buy? 1980 240D

Well most cars can do 60 or 70 mph. You can 60 sixty miles pere hour in a Prius. (The thing might fall apart though.) And I know of several accidents and seen several accidents of middle aged folks wrecking because they have a Mercedes, BMW, or Ferrari sports car and think they are top of the world. "They are experienced, and know what they are doing. So they can do 100 mph, while talking on the cell phone, and drinking coffee on their way to the office." Then they take a turn too fast or just plain wave lose control and wreck. And I've seen some middle aged people wreck just because they was just too impatient and had to go around the teenager in an old Corolla that's just even with the speed limit. That guy barely lived and his CLK55 didn't make it just because he felt that the young guy was in his way. So I guess he had to do 25 over to make his point huh?
And I admit, there are some of teenagers that just shouldn't be driving just yet, but they keep pushing the learning permit age up and of course they don't have much time for mandortoy practice. A first one use to be able to get the learners permit at age 14 or 15 and license at 17 or 16, some times 18. Now most places you can't get the learners permit until 16 liscence one year later. and within that one year, not many parents that I know of really have the time to actually properly teach and practice with the teenager these days. It's a fast paced world. Then when they do finally get thier liscence not many parents even bother to check and see if the teenager is ready or even responsible enough to drive on their own.
Maybe it's because I had good practice with manuvering a vehicle. They gave me a Cadillac with a 5.7 (And I knew better than to try to do 100mph around curves with it because even though it can go sports car speed and acceleration, it is not a sports car.).
I learned how drive and park in tight city place in a extended cab F-150. That made driving the Cadillac in the same situations cake walk. I did alot of back winding road driving in the cadillac so that I can get a feel of it and the handling capabilities. I actually took my driving test in an Expedition (Mostly because Homecoming dance was later that day and I had a date but no liscence.) It was either pass or the date was off. It was easy because it was the same things I learned in the larger F-150.
Practice is important and I think that what a lot of young people lack these days. Practice. They see these people zipping around crazy in those rice burners and have to get one and thinks any monkey can do it only to find out the hard way that it's not as easy as it seems.
Ever see a small car equipped with that nitro stuff hit a semi? It ain't pretty.