Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

OM 617, starting problem when cold - ether!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 09:31 AM
Default OM 617, starting problem when cold - ether!

Dear MB fans,
I am a simple swede without to much experience from engines.
Recently I bought a boat with (presumably) an OM 617 engine. Anyway it´s early or mid 70th 5 cylinder turbo diesel.
Engine been idle for ten over years. After changing glowplugs, preglow relay and diesel, as well as getting all air out of the system I managed to fire her up by using ether into the air intake. Engine is running fine and starting ok when warm. However starting her up cold without using ether seems not possible.
Spoke to a diesel guy, rhe recomended me to run the enginne for ten minutes to get all walves working again, and then try again. If not starting up cold again he recomended me to bring in the injectors to have them tested and possibly overhauled.

You guys seems to be so bright and knowing a lot about diesel problems. Do you have any ideas about what the problem can be?.
Have seen some posts about the vacuum stopper on the fuel pump. There is no vacuum line as it is converted to a boatengine. The stopper is now wire controlled to the accelerator.
Could it be that after 10 years idle, there is some blockage in the vacuum valve on the fuel pump blocking the starter?? Can I open it up and put it back to see if it helps??

Any and all suggestions highly appreciated.

Regards
Per