Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

oil problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 02:18 PM
Default oil problems

i just got a 77 300D with a 80 300SD motor on friday. today i opened the oil cap to put some oil in while it was running and warm and smoke came billowing out. it doesn't really smell like its burning but it is a lot of smoke.
what is the cause
bad seals?
im kinda thinking maybe i got a lemon

Old 11-24-2008, 02:25 PM
Default RE: oil problems

search blow-by, sounds like you have some.
i have an 80 240 with a fair amount of blow-by, usualy caused by worn rings.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:45 AM

Got a 1981 300SD last Monday she sat for 3 years any ideas on how to buypass the fuel tank so I can start the engine on good fuel. She cranks over very good now. cleaned the injectors, glow plugs look good, It doesn't look like she is getting enough fuel , she just spits fuel out the lines. just waht to try to narrow down the problem, ie: tank, lines, filter, etc. Also anyone know about electrical systemin this car? Iget 12+ volts at the battery but only 2+ at the main fuse panel, and where doyou get those old fuses? thanks for everybodys help!

Angelo
1981 300SD "Heidi"

Old 11-26-2008, 08:20 AM

disconnect the fuel line at the small fillter near injector pump.buy a few ffeet of fuel llineand hook up to fillter and put other end in fuel container,pump manuel primer pump then crank motor and it will suck up fuel.....strainer in fuel tank may be cllogged.

Old 11-26-2008, 01:11 PM

Got a 1981 300SD last Monday she sat for 3 years any ideas on how to buypass the fuel tank so I can start the engine on good fuel. She cranks over very good now. cleaned the injectors, glow plugs look good, It doesn't look like she is getting enough fuel , she just spits fuel out the lines. just want to try to narrow down the problem, ie: tank, lines, filter, screen etc. Also anyone know about electrical systemin this car? Iget 12+ volts at the battery but only 2+ at the main fuse panel, and where doyou get those old fuses?

Got some advice:
disconnect the fuel line at the small fillter near injector pump.buy a few ffeet of fuel llineand hook up to fillter and put other end in fuel container,pump manuel primer pump then crank motor and it will suck up fuel.....strainer in fuel tank may be cllogged.

Went and bought fuel lines and some fresh fuel... came back and now the car wont even turn over? Battery on charger tested the voltage to the starter 12+ volts what the heck. Not even a single sound, is there a relay or something that i may of blown. Any ideas?

Angelo
1981 300SD "Heidi"

Old 11-27-2008, 05:58 PM

what could happen if there was air in the fuel lines and that got to the injectors
?

Old 11-27-2008, 09:07 PM

if you have no response it sounds like either a starter or solenoid

Old 11-28-2008, 08:48 AM

dont want to think that. I am going to try the starter/reverse light switch. Is there any way to test to see if the starter or the solenoid is bad? The starter is getting 12-13 volts.

Old 11-28-2008, 01:17 PM

When you get your engine cranking, why not do a Diesel Purge http://www.dieselgiant.com/injectorcleaning.htm

Old 11-28-2008, 07:21 PM

I'm such a sucker for these well packaged scams. Good thing we have people like you to give us advice.

Quick Reply: oil problems