Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Need Maintenance help

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 05:29 PM
Default Need Maintenance help

My wife and I purchased a 1974 240d in fairly good condition about 4 weeks ago. I am getting ready to do the first round of maintenance (oil, filter, fuel filter). However, I am missing one thing..........where the heck is the oil filter? I am used to changing my own oil but it is on 2000 and newer GM vehicles so I have a feeling I am not looking in the right spot. Also, where is the fuel filter located?

Any help would be greatly apprecated.

Mark

Old 12-30-2006, 12:18 AM
Default RE: Need Maintenance help

the oil filter is a canister type, underneath the injector pump (drivers side)
It's a pain in the *** to change and they tend to leak at the big round gasket, watch for that when you start the motoe after the new filter goes in. The secondary fuel filter is a canister type, in front of the injector pump, reached from above. You will need to fill the canister with fuel after you drop the new filter in and you may need to prime the fuel system before it will run. the primaary fuel filter is down alongside the injector pump, it's a simple inline filter.

It's a good practice to drain the oil cooler as well when you change the oil on this model. it's mounted on the driver side of the radiator and has a drain plug in the bottom.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 12-30-2006, 09:11 PM
Default RE: Need Maintenance help

Loosen the large nut on top of the secondary filter housing before you attempt to spin it off with a filter wrench! Once that nut is loose, you canremove the canistereasily by hand. Just hold the filter at its base while fully removing the large nut.Fill the new filter with diesel prior to reinstallation. Start car, let run for a couple min. then shut down and replace small primary filter. Then pump the primer at the front of the injector pump. Then restart. Its been my experience that changing both fuel filters at the same time increases the chance of excess air in the system.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:54 PM
Default I have an 81' cd with a leaky hand primer pump

Carnut,

If you are still out there i'd like to discuss pros/cons of the 81' CD per your experience. more specifically, procedure for changing both fuel filter and the fuel hand primer pump without losing a gal of diesel fuel on the ground.

thanks. Seadog

Old 03-08-2011, 04:39 PM

i decided to top off fuel tank in anticipation of having the car sit up until i properly completed all the basic maintenance, needed repairs and upgrades on my spare time... so the tank full, although i'm consistantly losing fuel at the hand primer pump fittings. bosch replacement is on mail order, should be here tomorrow. i have a new fuel filter coming as well. im still not sure what size fuel hose to buy... once i receive the filter i'll take it to local parts store and test fit fuel hose in the store.

any precautions when changing fuel hoses in the engine compartment tank being full. thanks again for the quick response.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:37 PM

Which fuel hoses are you referring to?

Replacing filters can be done with a minimum amount of spillage.

YouTube - Mercedes 617 primary fuel filter change.avi

The above is just the primary, or clear inline, filter replacement. I'll suggest adding some additional length to the short line (5/16) as I showed in the video.

The secondary, or spin on filter, is simply a matter of loosening the bolt on top, a 22mm or a 24mm and removing the filter as you would on a modern gasser oil filter set up.

Depending on which filter head you have, there is a 10 digit part # on it, if digits 7&8 are "01", you'll need a single "O" ring and a crush washer. If those digits are "02" you'll need two "O" rings.

I fill up the secondary filter with clean fuel (or injector cleaner) before installing, being careful to not spill any. Hand tighten, then use a wrench to SNUG it. This is after you've replaced the necessary "O" ring/s and/or washer.

In the pic is a washer (3/4 inch I.D.) for the old ["01"] style head, on the right is a new style {"02"} hollow (banjo) bolt with two "O" rings. Sorry, the pic didn't load.

You live close enough, I'll be happy to help in person.

Last edited by Rmac58; 04-06-2011 at 03:43 PM.