Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

General Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 10:32 AM
Default General Question

I have searched but not found it yet. I have been wandering for a while why are Mercedes Diesel engines so dirty. Out of all the cars I have had between the few Mercedes Diesels they have the dirtiest engine compartments, and dirtiest engines (externally). Are all diesels dirty as well I have only had Mercedes not any other diesels? I just wanted to know what makes them get so dirty? I just put a alternator on last year and now it is black. Just as a general question I just wanted to know what makes they dirty, they are great machines but the nastiest to work on.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by bahamutsd
I have searched but not found it yet. I have been wandering for a while why are Mercedes Diesel engines so dirty. Out of all the cars I have had between the few Mercedes Diesels they have the dirtiest engine compartments, and dirtiest engines (externally). Are all diesels dirty as well I have only had Mercedes not any other diesels? I just wanted to know what makes them get so dirty? I just put a alternator on last year and now it is black. Just as a general question I just wanted to know what makes they dirty, they are great machines but the nastiest to work on.
Hi there.
Owners of Mercedes are proud people in general.If your engine compartment is dirty it may be that the previous owner neglected to keep it clean.A simple engine shampoo is very inexpensive and generally does the job in only one application.
Try it out.
Cheers
Big Dan
Southport,Queensland Australia.....Where the sharks come out to play!

Old 10-28-2009, 08:05 PM

I never knew that thanks guys. I love these cars too just like the rest of you. I bought both of my Mercedes diesels used with many miles on them, and a old VW a long time ago, so I thought they just got dirty being diesels. I have cleaned the engine compartment with engine degreaser before about a year ago on the Mercedes. I had to clean my VW jetta a lot it stayed nasty. I learned something though I need to get on some more maintenance.

Old 10-30-2009, 01:21 AM

Diesel smoke stains more than gas. Diesels have way more compression, and the injectionsystem is under higher pressure. Leaks can happen easier, just keep it clean see were it is coming from and fix it.