Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Dumb newbie Idle question

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 11:34 AM
Default Dumb newbie Idle question

I'm not new to working on cars nor am I new to Mercedes diesels. I normally work on Volvos and I own an '80 model 240D Mercedes. I am however overwhelmed by my new 82 300D turbo-Diesel. For some reason it look complicated and I'm a bit intimidated. I have a Haynes manual (which sucks). On my Volvos I use a Bentley manual, is there a good service manual that you guys could recommend?

Now to my question:
The idle on this engine seems to be a bit low (car shakes). The tach works intermittently and does not sit still long enough for me to see the correct idle RPM. How do I set the idle speed? I'm sure my Haynes manual would tell me how but I'd rather have an owners opinion. Also, what do I need to check on the tach to make it work correctly.

I purchased this car yesterday afternoon and I've not even looked it over good yet. I am hoping to get some time with it on Saturday.

It is so nice to find a Mercedes Diesel forum. I have used the Volvo forum (www.brickboard.com) for years and they have been very helpful. I look forward to being a part of this forum.

Thank you,
Tony

Old 03-25-2005, 08:57 PM
Default RE: Dumb newbie Idle question

hi there, first of all the Haynes manual will not give you all the information you needed. you need a Mercedes manual- i know they are not cheap but they're great. Secondly regarding your tachometer, inside the engine compartment there is a round control unit towards the right facing the engine that controls the tach. check to see that it's not loose. The idle is adjusted by turning the idle screw adjacent to the throttle linkage right behind the injection pump, if you follow the throttle lever linkage you'll find it. You'll need to loosen up the nut and then turn the screw in to raise the idle. Hope this helps.