Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Diesel Debate

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 03:10 AM
Default Diesel Debate

Hello, new to the forum and could use some advice.
Hubby's position is that an older MB diesel would be a bad move due to scarcity of parts and knowledgable mechanic types. (We live in seriously rural Louisiana.) I've had others tell me that diesels are easier. I would hate to get one of these sweet things and not be able to maintain it properly.
Thanks for letting me pick your brains......

Old 02-26-2006, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Diesel Debate

When you say older how old do u mean?

You are still able to get almost any Mercedes part ever made as long as u have the part number. And the few Mercedes i have worked on are the most logical cars to work on. Get one you will be happy but i would recommend staying away from any of them with the 3.5Liter Diesel. ie: 350sd, 350sdl, s350. Personally I like the 300sdl mine has 296,000 and runs great.

Old 02-26-2006, 09:17 PM
Default Solution!

Mercedes Diesels never die or break down.

its that simple.

or....

you can give me your diesel benz

Old 02-26-2006, 09:47 PM
Default RE: Diesel Debate

I was leaning towards 81-87- the models you suggested or maybe a wagon. I know nothing about working on a diesel but have done oil changes , tune ups and very minor this or thats on a few of my gas deals in the past. I guess what i might be really asking is how much of all that's routinely needed am i going to be able to do myself vs how much needs to go to a MB place or anything in between? The nearest dealer is an hour and a half away. I would hate getting in over my head.
I really appreciate your input!

Old 02-26-2006, 09:57 PM
Default RE: Solution!

Mercedes Diesels never die or break down
Never???

Old 02-26-2006, 10:38 PM
Super Moderator

They do die and they do break down. Just no where near as often. U will be tired of the car b4 it breaks on u.

Old 02-27-2006, 12:22 AM

Well, that would be a switch. I'll take that comment to heart and start looking seriously. If you have any other caveats please pass them on!
BTW I noticed a post you made where you provided a link to a car in Chambersburg(?) I'm guessing you might be from somewhere around my old stomping grounds. i grew up in Washington Co, MD .

Old 02-27-2006, 12:57 AM
Super Moderator

I have lived in Washington Co since i was 5. I graduated from Boonsboro High in 03.

Old 02-27-2006, 02:15 AM

OMG Small world. I went to Smithsburg (yeah I know boo hiss) I won't tell you when I graduated cuz it would make me old as dirt. Let me know if you know of anything roadworthy up your way. Always looking for an excuse for a trip back.
Thanks again-

Old 02-27-2006, 07:19 AM

yeah, those old diesels are a good deal. my last one (93 300d 2.5 turbo) had 430k on the clock and gave me no problems at all. used to work in the service department at a rather high volume dealer, before i moved out to school, and i never saw a diesel in for anything other than routine maintainence. actually, id never seen a dead one until i bough the one i have right now (74 240d non-turbo 4 cylinder) guy said it overheated and quit. i opened the radiator cap and you guessed it, no antifreze at all. so yes, you can kill them, if you try really hard or are just stupid enough. actually, more common thing ive seen is ones that wont stop running after you turn the key off. you actually have to pop the hood and hit the fuel shutoff valve!

Quick Reply: Diesel Debate