Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

87 300D heater

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 05:26 PM
Default 87 300D heater

Hello folks,
I found a nice 87 300D but the heat only works on defrost. Is there something I should be looking at?

Old 12-05-2007, 11:27 PM
Default RE: 87 300D heater

Defrost is the "Failsafe" mode for Mercedes Benz automobiles (You only REALLY need DeFrost).

So, yes something is very wrong with your climate control.

Go To <shopforum.com> and search under "defrost only".

Old 12-06-2007, 01:40 PM
sfk

Typical problem is the Temperature control unit. That is the unit that you push to change where the fan blows. this is my first guess.

Second guess, Good idea to replace all of your fuses!!! I have had real funky things go wrong even though the fuses never actually blows (such as windows not working, and my blower not working). What happens is that the aluminum corrodes and reduces the current that can go through but never burns up.

The second issue that might fail is the actual vacuum actuator (shoot can't think of the name). The device just to the left of the air filter while looking at the hood, that's on the fire wall.

However, I drove years with just the defroster working.

Warning: replacing the push button temperature control panel can be very hard because of the number of wires. I think on that model it might not be but I know on my 1980 it is.

Scott

Old 12-13-2007, 02:28 PM

ORIGINAL: sfk

Typical problem is the Temperature control unit. That is the unit that you push to change where the fan blows. this is my first guess.

Second guess, Good idea to replace all of your fuses!!! I have had real funky things go wrong even though the fuses never actually blows (such as windows not working, and my blower not working). What happens is that the aluminum corrodes and reduces the current that can go through but never burns up.

The second issue that might fail is the actual vacuum actuator (shoot can't think of the name). The device just to the left of the air filter while looking at the hood, that's on the fire wall.

However, I drove years with just the defroster working.

Warning: replacing the push button temperature control panel can be very hard because of the number of wires. I think on that model it might not be but I know on my 1980 it is.

Scott
I believe Scott is talking about the mono vavle on the fire wall which regulates the amount of heated coolant to the blower.
I have the same issue on mine.