Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

'81 300 D won't start

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 10:24 AM
Default '81 300 D won't start

Just my luck... I purchased an '81 300D this Sat. with 213K on the clock. I had previously driven the car twice and it started and ran with no problems. I drove the car (after purchasing it) back home (20 miles) and around town starting it with no problems 4 times or so. That was Saturday.

Sunday morning the car wouldn't start. The engine turns over and at times sounds like it wants to start but doesn't. I called the prior owner, he suggested I replace the small plastic fuel filter. I did this and the car started with a little effort. I proceeded to take the car on a little drive, 6-7 miles or so and the car worked fine.

I thought my problem was solved until I tried to start it this morning (Monday 1/5/09) and it seems to have the same problem it did yesterday and it wouldn't start.

I'm thinking it has to be something with the fuel system right?

I'm new the these cars so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The only thing I did before these problems started was fill it up with gas. Yes, I used diesel not gasoline.

TIA

Old 01-05-2009, 05:05 PM
Default RE: '81 300 D won't start

Could my problem have to do with the glow plugs?

Old 01-05-2009, 05:43 PM

Your problem could be glow plugs, fuel delivery, low compression or a variety of other issues.

You have a new (to you) car. Unless he gave you a folder full of verified receipts, assume that the previous owner was the worst owner in the world. Give the car a complete tune-up (valve adjustment, filters, oil change, glow plugs, etc) and then see what doesn't work.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:31 PM

if you pump the manuel pump on the side of the injector pump does it pull back when you pull it up?if it is its most likely the screen in the fuel tank. it can also be a clogged main filter[llooks like oil filter on top near ps pump.]

Old 01-07-2009, 06:31 PM

ORIGINAL: jimishadow

if you pump the manuel pump on the side of the injector pump does it pull back when you pull it up?if it is its most likely the screen in the fuel tank. it can also be a clogged main filter[llooks like oil filter on top near ps pump.]
The manuel pump works fine, when I push it down if pumps gas into the small filter and rises back up. Is that what you were asking?

Old 01-07-2009, 06:34 PM

ORIGINAL: cycleboy

Your problem could be glow plugs, fuel delivery, low compression or a variety of other issues.

You have a new (to you) car. Unless he gave you a folder full of verified receipts, assume that the previous owner was the worst owner in the world. Give the car a complete tune-up (valve adjustment, filters, oil change, glow plugs, etc) and then see what doesn't work.
Thanks for the tip! I plan to do all of the above. Right now I'd like to get the darn thing started again as it was running perfectly Saturday. All of the sudden it just won't start. I'm thinking it may be the glow plugs as I don't have any receipts showing this was done recently. How hard is it to replace them and where are they (glow plugs) located?

Is there a wire that connects to the glow plugs that could've come loose?

Thanks for the replies, as I'm new to these cars and diesel's in general.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:44 PM

It looks like your car starts well when warm and not so well when cold. Was the car warm when your test-drived the car? Never ever test drive a car ( diesel in particular ) when it is warm. Insist to look at it first thing in a cold morning to try to 'cold' start it.

Now you are are stuck with the car, I suspect it is low compression. Try changing all filters as suggested by the other readers. If the glow plug light goes out then at least 3-4 glow plugs are working. If more than 2 are gone then the light would not go off. The only way to find out is to take off the cover of the glow plug relays and measure the resistance. They should be less than 5 ohms to chassis.

Good luck.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:37 AM

So I spoke with the previous owner and he suggested that I put the car in neutral, and then turn the ignition on. I did so and the glow plug light came on then went off, put the car in park and it fired right up! It seems like the glow plug light won't come on while the car is in park but will when shifted to neutral. I repeated theses steps a few times and the car fires up immediately. BTW, it is cold outside.

The previous owner remembers this happening on a 300d he had a few years back but says it hasn't happened on this car before.

I test drove the car twice, both times in cold weather and didn't have to do this before nor did I have to do this Saturday when I bought the car and drove it all over town turning it on then off 6-7 times while in park.

Any ideas as to why the glow plugs go on/off in neutral bu not in park?

Old 01-08-2009, 10:32 AM

it pumped normal...fuel is fllowing...if you pump it and it pulls bac down when you pull it up the screen in fuel tank is clogged.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:48 PM

Because your neutral safety switch is faulty/out of adjustment.

Quick Reply: '81 300 D won't start