Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums

Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/)
-   Diesel Discussions (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/diesel-discussions-33/)
-   -   300D Wants to Start but just cant quite do it (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/diesel-discussions-33/300d-wants-start-but-just-cant-quite-do-28558/)

LT1_1993 04-16-2008 06:56 PM

RE: 300D Wants to Start but just cant quite do it

Rack Damper Screw ( basicly the idle scew ) located on the on the rear of the injection pump . It is a funny screw that sticks up and is spring loaded , you need a 14mm deep socket or 9/16 deep and a flat blade screw driver . Loosen carefully and turn clockwise to raise rpms counter clockwise to lower rpm. If you go to far in the car will idle to high and may free rev so don't set it to high . If it is backed out too far the car wont start. It will try like heck , but not start .

carnut 04-16-2008 07:21 PM

Sorry about saying to replace the battery, I see thats been done. Regarding the rack dampner adjustment, I would do that if necc after you verify it runs at all. Holding the throttle pedal part way down will do for now.

Jimbezy 04-16-2008 09:59 PM

I replaced the battery today, still with no luck. The starter may be damaged because I cranked it till it started cranking slower and slower, before I replaced the battery I thought it was just the battery dieing, now I think the starter was over heating. I'll try the wd-40 trick and see if it works at all. If that doesnt work then its a compresion test for me!

Jimbezy 04-17-2008 09:30 PM

So Im still waiting to do a compression test, but upon doing more reading I have found out I may have washed the cylinder walls with all that unburnt diesel I squirted in there, killing the compression. So I figure I can use the oil in the glow plug hole trick to get the compression back, this will also tell me wether or not its the rings, valves, or nothing is wrong with the motor internally. If it has low compresion the rings are bad or the cylinders are warped (A possibility on an over heated engine). Plus Im fairly positive it isnt the head gasket because there is no oil in the water and vise versa.

Anymore input on this delima would be very appreciated
thanks
James

bahamutsd 04-17-2008 10:27 PM

Fuel pump maybe. I don't know much, I have still a lot to learn about diesels but if you primed it and it is still not cranking it could be the fuel pump. When I first bought my 85 it would not start and I looked near the bottom of the engine area and seen a plugner so I primed it and it fiered up ran perfectly.

Jimbezy 04-17-2008 10:40 PM

People keep telling me about this primer plunger, but I dont see one when looking at my engine. Where the heck is it?!

Mr.Billyd 04-18-2008 10:21 AM

Am I missing something? Did this car run before you changed the fuel filter? On my 97 300d, I changed fuel filter and some lines. IN doing this air gets into the system. With air in the system, they don't start, shake like hell, and pump black smoke out the pipe. I had mine hook up to a power charger so I didn't cook my battrie. The other thing, only crank for 20 sec, at a go, and give it some time in between so you dont cook your starter. On my year, the 6 lines are clear and you can see air in the lines. This whole process of shaking and sputtering took some time to clear up.
Good luck
Bill

Jimbezy 04-19-2008 03:54 PM

Well after some investigation I dont have a primer plunger, It looks like its strait up missing! Right next to the first fuel filter there is just this plastic knob with a deep hole in it that looks like something should be there. I assume this is a big problem, how do I go about fixing it? I'll take a pic if this is not discriptive enough.

Thanks
James

cycleboy 04-19-2008 07:33 PM

That knob would be for the plunger.