Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Got a cool radio? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it.

Remount windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 03:42 AM
Default Remount windshield?

Hey, I'm putting two 10" subs on the rear deck of my '73 280C, don't worry, they'll be hardly noticable. I heard from a friend that I might destroy my rear windshield by doing so when the subs are up to power. Is this true? Should I have it remounted or simply not go through with installation? Any help is welcome as I have currently halted installation due to panic. Thanks for your help.

Old 12-13-2006, 12:40 PM
Default RE: Remount windshield?

this is a pretty big issue when it comes to putting high powered subwoofers in rear decks or even trunks of cars. This all depends on the power that you are putting into the subwoofers, and where they are located. The JL Audio W7 12" Subwoofer has been notorious for shattering rear windshields, but I had two 12" Pioneer Premier subwoofers in the trunk of my 98 accord and on songs with heavy bass the rear window would flex a little bit but I never had it shatter or come out of place. And of course it has to do with the placement of the subwoofers, I would say that the rear deck is a bad place to put two subwoofers. In many cadillacs there is one 10" Subwoofer in the rear deck but that is only one, not to mention those stock subwoofers arent kicking neirly as hard as aftermarket subs would.

There are remedies but with Mercedes, my guess is that it wont be cheap, you can add massive amounts of dynomat, sound dampening material (I wouldent recomend), or you could replace the window with a fiberglass one, then you lose your rear entenna,if you have one and any defrosting.

For better help, what are the subs you are putting in your rear deck? What amplifyer are you going to power them with? and do you absolutly have to put them there? or can they go in your trunk as well?

Hope I can help you out, I am new to the Benz forums and Im still getting a grasp of my new mercedes 1999 CLK 430.