Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Got a cool radio? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it.

I seek information

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 06:55 PM
Default I seek information

Hello all! New guy here. Not to sound redundant but, I have searched all over this forum for factory stereo information on my 2002 C240 to no avail. It does have the Bose upgrade. I am trying to decide whether or not to add to it or replace everything. I would like to keep the stock HU but am not opposed to adding an Alpine. I have amps, speakers and subs to put in it, just wondering how far I have to go or how complicated it would be to go all out for killer sound.

Thanks in advance! I really like the help we receive on these forums (I belong to a couple others)!

Old 01-20-2006, 11:15 AM
Default RE: I seek information

Anyone!?? Now, I know someone out there can point me in the right direction....

Old 01-20-2006, 04:16 PM

Adding anything to a Bose system will only make it sound worse... and it sounds bad enough already. If you want "killer sound" you need to gut the Bose. Everything. Then start over from scratch. The Bose system is so proprietary that no one makes any component that mates well with it.

I second your choice of an Alpine HU. Can't lose there.

Old 01-20-2006, 06:01 PM

Ah, there you are Lugnut! Thanks for the reply. I will problably never get anything but an Alpine (previous experience). Can I gut the Bose but keep the factory HU? It isn't a Bose, is it? Then, the question is, can I run aftermarket amps off the M-B HU? I would be really happy if that is the case!

Thanks again for the info!

Old 01-20-2006, 08:00 PM

If the HU isn't a Bose, which I think it is, it's been "weirded" to the point of working with a Bose amp and nothing else, efficiently. You can get things to work with adapters and crap (sold at Crutchfield probably), but it won't sound good and you seem to want better than average sound. Best to gut the whole Bose thing and go with an Alpine HU.

I don't know of anyone with an ear who has satisfactorily modified a Bose system with non-Bose components. A lot have tried. It just won't happen. Don't believe anyone who tells you his modifications work great. They have to be mostly deaf and tone deaf to boot, and embarrassed to admit wasting their money and time.

Old 01-22-2006, 01:15 PM

Thanks Lugnut! You are right, I have competed in car stereo competitions in my previous life (before kids). So, I have a finicky ear. I think I have found the solution, though. I will post this info speifically on a seperate thread. In case anyone else is following this thread, JL Audio makes a product specifically for stubborn factory stereos that allows you to add aftermarket amps and speakers while keeping your stock HU. It does a whole lot of other stuff, too. It is kinda expensive at $350. But, if you think about the coast of a new HU, adapters and all that other stuff, it may not be too bad. I think I will save up, buy it and be done with it.

Thanks again!

Old 01-22-2006, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

Here is a link to a "how to" http://www.slk32.com/pages/radioupgr...ioinstall.html

I have heard that with all the sound proofing in our cars, a subwoofer system othe than the stock one is in effective.

I have a high end Alpine head unit (preamp only), MB quart Q series speakers ($1500 per pair with 1in. tweeters and hand made cross-overs) and an ADS 6 channel amp ready to go, If I can get time to install it. LOTS of mods necessary to do this system. I would like to use the subs in the car. I drive an SLK, so this is a serious project.

Let us know what you end up doing.

Old 01-22-2006, 05:00 PM

Like I said, you can get it to work, but...

Old 01-22-2006, 05:00 PM

Why would soundproofing make a subwoofer ineffective? I don't understand. If you're talking about adding a non-Bose subwoofer to a Bose system or using a Bose subwoofer on an non-Bose amp, you can't do that. The resistance on Bose speakers is unique.

Old 01-22-2006, 07:53 PM

Lugnut, I agree about being ineffective(?). I was told by my local (very good) car stereo shop you could run a line level to rca converter and add your own amp & sub. The drawback is, it will not have the sound quality that hooking up directly to an Alpine (or your choice) HU would have.

Drew! How funny is that! Right now, in my Honda Accord, I am running an Alpine (pre amp only), a PH15, 5 1/4" coax in front, 5 1/4" seperates in the rear deck and 2 10" subs (all a/d/s) in the trunk. It is so simple and sounds fantastic!!! I want that sound in my C240! I have 2 PH 15's that I will get rid of (once the Accord dies) since I have 2-P2110.2's and a PQ40.2 waiting for my Benz! How do you like your MB Quarts? I thought about some of those to replace my a/d/s. But, I REALLY like my a/d/s! I see your problem with lack of space. Keep me posted on your progress and I'll do the same.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: I seek information