Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Got a cool radio? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it.

custom stereo wire harness

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 04:56 PM
Default custom stereo wire harness

i was wondering if its possible to get a wire harness for an aftermarket stereo to fit in my 1997 SL600, the speakers are great already, i just need the new head unit so i can hook-up my amp and sub. if anyone has any details about the harness or removal of the factory stereo i would greatly appreaciate it, im intermediate with wiring and other electronics but since this is a benz im going to take extra time to make sure i dont F somthing up :-)

Old 05-14-2008, 05:29 PM
Default RE: custom stereo wire harness

You might want to post/search the SL subforum for radio removal. Most MB's of that era use two flat metal 'radio keys' which are inserted into horizontal slots at the bottom corners of the radio. When inserted they compress the latches on either side and the radio can be slid out.

If you purchase an aftermarket HU from someone like crutchfield they will supply the patch cord (from MB wiring harness to new radio) and a set of removal keys as part of the price. Note that not all aftermarket radios support all the features of your current radio such as speed/volume control and cd changer.

Good luck.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:07 PM
Default RE: custom stereo wire harness

Are you already considering a certain model of radio? Becker and Blaupunkt tend to be more Mercedes-friendly. Don't count on Crutchfield to save your bacon- their harnesses and diagrams for Mercedes tend to be a bit iffy. Check your local stereo shops, the Mercedes harness adapters often interchange with VW and Volvo, and may be in stock. Otherwise, eBay.
Those folks at Mercedes wire their radios.... oddly. Then again, they thought we had some use for cassette players in '04.