Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Got a cool radio? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it.

CD player inSLK230 wont play burnt CD's

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 02:26 AM
Default CD player inSLK230 wont play burnt CD's

Does anyone know if there is a firmware upgrade that will allow the CD player in my 200 SLK230 to play burnt CD's. Only about 1 in 10 will play properly.

Also c is it possible to fit an after market CD changer to this unit..

2toes

Old 06-12-2005, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: CD player inSLK230 wont play burnt CD's

don't use CD-RW. usr blank CDR with good quality such as SONY. burn using NERO make AUDIO CD function.

Old 06-12-2005, 12:02 PM

Sleepwalker is correct Nero is the best program to use to burn CD , as it automatically finalizes the disk, so it can play on most CD player. If you are using a stand alone CD burner, make sure you finalize the disc or it won't play on any CD player except the one you burnt it on.

My player in my 99 C280 is a factory option player and it is not compatible with CD RW, MP 3. It only plays CD's and then they have to be finalized. I also have a Phillips stand alone CD burner, which you have to manual finalize where Nero does it for you. The Benz CD player, and most CD player will even play media CD-R's burnt with music files on Nero. Somehow this magic is built into the program.

Old 06-18-2005, 01:23 AM

Thanks, but the CD's are finalized. I was hoping for a firmware upgrade that may do the trick.
t2t

Old 06-18-2005, 05:33 PM

Are you using a software program like Nero or a stand alone burner?

Old 06-19-2005, 08:55 PM

I am using Nero.
t2t

Old 06-20-2005, 01:35 PM

Are you using CD-RW's is so, this type of disc won't play on my CD player either. You also need a music specific CD, even with Nero, to play in a Benz player. As you probably know Nero with burn a CD-R with music and it will play on most machines except Benz type players. Why. who knows, it's German?

Old 07-03-2005, 09:40 PM

Hey all,
I too am having the same problem. I recently got a 98 SLK with the standard MB Audio 10 cd player.
I was very disappointed that it didn't play CD-Rs, (not CD-RW) I do use Nero to finalise the audio cds but it still wont play them (I know they work cause they can play in my previous car CD player), I've even tried CD Digital Audio CD-Rs and they still don't play. The only thing I haven't tried was to use a recognised brand CD-Rs like Sony and burning them at 1x speed. But I don't reckon it'll make much of a difference. Plus the lowest speed I can go is 4x

What is this Firmware upgrade t2t talking about?

I've given up hope in tryin' to make it play CD-R's now [:@]and looking for a aftermarket head unit but I'm concerned about the wiring as I'm not that clued up on eletrical wiring, I've looked at the back of the unit and there's so many different coloured wires I don't know what each of them do. I think the speakers are the 4 wires couloured Orange and Green with black indicating Negative, but thens the other wires. Plus theres a Green plastic cover centre bottom what is this for? is it the Fibre optic connection I've been hearing about?
Anyway i've been thinking about getting a Nakamichi MB-X , does anyone know if this unit can play CD-R's?
and also if I need a wiring harness so that I wont need to cut any of the original wires, just in case I might sell the car in the future?

So if anyone can help shed some light on this subject please do!

Simon

Old 07-04-2005, 09:02 PM

Hey all I found this web-site from another part of the forum I hope this kinda helps others! But credits go to Bazzle and the web-site owner!

SLK how too.. http://www.slk32.com/pages/gotopages/howto.html

Old 03-19-2007, 09:37 AM

Deffo try burning at a slower speed, try 1x first and step up from there if you have success. Also, the quality of the media will play a big part on how you get on.

It does mean it costs you a little more, but in the long run it will be worth it as it means you can use your burned CD-Rs in the car

Quick Reply: CD player inSLK230 wont play burnt CD's