General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

300d stalls at idle.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 01:27 PM
Default 300d stalls at idle.

Hi Everyone,

A cryptic problem brings me to your forum...I have a 1983 300d that I restored with an engine from an '84 300d. The car is fantastic. It has developed a problem that I can't seem to figure out:

I currently have a Lovecraft conversion installed and use a combo. of oil/diesel. I noticed that it has gradually lost power over a couple of months to the point that it feels like I'm driving a 240 uphill in a headwind!

A friend and I took the injectors apart, one by one and cleaned them up. This didn't make a whole lot of difference. It got to the point where I could drive for about 7 miles until I would have to shift the car into neutral at stop lights etc. to keep from stalling. I thought that it was probably junk from oil clogging up the system, so I drained the tank and put in a new tank screen, in-line filter and cleaned the Lovecraft filter. While doing all of this, I discovered that the small fuel pump that pulls fuel from the tank to the Lovecraft conversion was not functioning properly and replaced it.

I put two gallons of diesel fuel into the tank, along with a quart of Lubro Molly, thinking this would do it. Much to my horror, the car will not stay running. I have to press the accelerator to the floor to start it. As soon as I take my foot off of the gas pedal, the car quits immediately. I purged all of the air from the system etc. and am at a complete loss. I' thinking it's either my injection pump going out or perhaps I need a new set of injectors? I read where the shutoff valve sometimes gets stuck closed but I don't think the car would start at all if that was my problem.

Anyway, that's about it. I do apologize for the lengthy post, but want to get as many questions out of the way as possible. Thanks in advance to anyone who might have an idea and can take the time to read this. I look forward to participating more with you all. Mahalo!

Old 07-18-2009, 02:58 PM

Replace your fuel filters then pull the cylinder head, rebuild it, clean the intake thoroughly and remove the oil burner conversion. Never put anything but diesel in the car ever again.