Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

Car Runs Hot

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 07:17 PM
Default Car Runs Hot

I have a 2002 SLK 230 Mercedes that has started running hot after 5 or 10 minutes of driving, my car also makes loud noises and after the car has been parked I notice it leaks water or there is a long strip of water coming from the car. For the most part the car runs good except when I turn on the heat it blows out cool air; this started about two weeks ago and at that point I stopped driving it. The only light that is on is the light that looks like the water is low but I am not sure what that light means, some times it would come on then go off but now it stays on. Can someone give any advice as to what might be wrong and does it sound like it might be expensive? I am grateful for any suggestions or advice.

Thanks,

Ronald

Old 05-22-2011, 02:51 AM

did you check the coolant level in the expansion tank? Just guessing but I would think your water pump is in really bad shape. the impeller may have come loose. if you're not getting heat from the heater it maybe the water is not circulating and a loose impeller could explain that or a stuck closed thermostat. a bad pump bearing or the impleller could explain the noise. did you look to see the general area where the water was leaking? if it is the pump and you take it to a dealer it will cost about $400 for the pump and shouldn't take over 3 hours to replace. if you replace it yourself and get the part from autohausaz.com the part will be about $125. loosen belt and check for play in the pump pulley or roughness as you rotate it, look for leaks.