Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

if you like to change your own oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 03:53 AM
Default if you like to change your own oil

next time you're under there check your shift linkage bushings. the transmission one is pretty easy, but the one up front at the shifter is another story. I was changing a shift modulator and found the transmission bushing gone and luckily the front one was just cracked. to press the bushing on to the shift bracket, I removed the bracket using a #10 wrench and socket. used a bolt that fit close to the hole size of the bushing. it was long enough to go through the bushing, bracket and a socket to a nut for the bolt. the socket was just big enough for the bushing to drop into. I put a washer on the bolt, slipped it through the bushing then the linkage bracket, then the socket and then a nut for the bolt. tighten the nut and bolt until the bushing was in place. the bushing as being pressed into the bracket will go into the socket on the other side of the bracket. there are special tools made for this and that tool would be needed for the front one if done in place. without a press of sorts it's a real --t-- to install the bushings.

Last edited by brookings; 11-28-2015 at 03:05 AM.