Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

W211 Estate (Wagon) fold 3rd row seats

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 05:49 AM
Default W211 Estate (Wagon) fold 3rd row seats

Hi,

I have recently bought a 2004 E Class Estate. It has the rear facing 3rd row of seats. They are great for kids.

When I bought the car I was able to fold the 3rd row backrest down without any problems. I tried it again last week and I cannot get the backrest to fold down. I have tried to be gentle with it and to force it without any joy. I can fold the seat squab over but the backrest just won't budge. The owner's manual isn't very helpful.

Is there a special knack to it that I have forgotten or didn't notice before?
Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Steve

Old 12-16-2009, 09:05 PM

now i just had a customer with this same problem on a 2007 E class wagon. not sure if this is the same on your car. isnt there a button on the bottom of the headrests? i know what you mean....the floor wont fold flat because the headrest keeps the floor/seat from folding. the headrest should fold down at a 90 degree angle right? theres a round button to push at the bottom in and then the rests fold down.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:43 AM

Hi,

I can remove the two headrests by pressing the button on the base of each one and pulling it out, but even when I do that the back of the seat (the upright part) just won't budge.
I can fold the seat part (where your bum goes) forwards with no problem.

I need to fold it down to be able to get bigger loads into the back.

Thanks,
Steve

Old 08-16-2010, 10:53 AM

I sorted this myself and I'll post the solution here in case anyone else has the same problem.

The problem: The backrest of the 3rd row of seats (rear facing seats) on my W211 E class estate would not fold down flat ( I had removed the pull out headrests).

The solution: There are small black spring clips on either side of the backrest base, beside the hinges. The seat part sits into these when in use. To fold the backrest down pull these spring clips either up or towards the rear of the car. There should be a positive click as they move and then the backrest will fold down. Both sides should be moved in the same way to allow the backrest to move. It is simple and easy when you know how -- don't use brute force (I was tempted but resisted!!).