Mercedes Benz Forums

Go Back   Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums > Mercedes Benz Models > Mercedes E Class
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Mercedes Forum!
Welcome to Mercedes Forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Mercedes Forum today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-23-2004, 07:57 AM

Default oil filter location-removal 1997 E420(V8)

Hi,
I have a 1997 E420.
Is the oil filter removed from above or below? Does one need special tool the dealer sells for $65?
Thanks,
Gerry
Register today for free or log in if already registered to remove this ad!
Old 05-26-2004, 11:55 AM

Default RE: oil filter location-removal 1997 E420(V8)

hi , I have the same car . as you face engine it is on the left side next to air cleaner. you need to take off
air cleaner cover and then the housing . i believe it is 1 bolt and then they have a pop in and out ball joint.
it is really easy to do. you can't see oil filter housing until you take cleaner off. once off you can use any adjustable wrench but a socket would be prefered. the filter is housed in a cylinder . i get my replacement filters from performance auto on line as they are half the dealer price. i believe the last time they were $7-$8 dollars.
Old 05-26-2004, 09:57 PM

Thanks Tom,
I now know where the filter is located.
It looks like a 13 mm socket will fit on top of bolt that goes into the cannister.
dealer was telling me to get a special tool.
Looks like set up of my 1986 BMW 535.

I removed the air filter paper element but the housing that it fits into stays put. Do you just yank it up and out or is there a nut/bolt that needs to be undone first?
Thanks,
Gerry
Old 05-27-2004, 11:29 AM

Gerry, I had to go look myself because I forgot. Just pull it up. When you replace it back in you will have to align the rubber back up. The whole process is alot easier than one would think, isn't it?
I had a 93 e , but the filter was in the upper back right corner. I new what to look for on this one.
Hope it worked out for you .

Tom
Old 05-27-2004, 11:29 AM

Tags
1997e420, 2004, air, benz, change, class, e420, engine, filter, housing, located, location, mercedes, oil, remove, sale