Mercedes CLK Class Mercedes CLK350 and Mercedes CLK500 Coupes and Cabriolets.

Custom Rim help on 2005 CLK 500

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 07:40 AM
Default Custom Rim help on 2005 CLK 500

Hi everyone. New to the site, first time posting. Ive read a few different posts on this forum as well as some others and have seen a few different answers, so i was hoping someone could help. I just picked up a Black 2005 CLK 500 with the AMG package. Looking to put black and chrome rims on this thing. My question is, could I put 20s on this car? I have read some posts that say 20s will fit with spacers, but 19s are a better choice. I obviously don't want rubbing on the fender and I want the car to ride nice. Any suggestions would be helpful. thanks in advance

Old 02-08-2010, 09:52 AM

20 will fit but 19 will be the better choice. Are you going to lower your ride ? what is your plans on the mod here ?

Andy

Old 02-09-2010, 06:39 AM

Currently I am looking at getting a 35% tint job done fairly soon (35% being the new law in Illinois) and new custom wheels done around may when the weather gets a little better. I got a quote on 20" giovanna wheels with pirelli tires for around $2500 but that price seems low. I would like to lower this car and give it a sleeker look, how much would that cost on average and where could i get that done at?

Old 02-10-2010, 06:40 AM

Andy, I got a quote on lowering my vehicle. This is the email I got from them...

"Kevin,
I'm not sure which way you want to go as far as lowering your car. The most affordable way is to install lowering spring and if you really want to spend some big money you can also look in to new shocks/springs assembly. What were doing the most lately is lowering springs all the way around. To install four springs and get the alignment checked after, would run you $550. That's labor only. As far as parts it would be better if you order what ever is in your budget and just check back with me to make sure it's going to work on your car. If you have any questions or ideas let me know."

$550 for Labor only? that seems really high. I think ive read on multiple forums that $300-350 is average. What springs/shocks would be best for the ride? If i got 19s put on would you still suggest lowering it? whats your opinion if I put 20s on this car? I know that youre pretty much the guy to go to with these questions as i see your posts on this and other sites. Your help is much appreciated. Thanks alot for all your help.

Kevin

Old 02-10-2010, 09:04 AM

Andy, I am looking at some Eibach Lowering Springs.

Part Number: E272563140
Manufacturer number: 2563.140

This is the link where I found these springs

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...idk3Dwyx5#desc

Would these work? or would you suggest spending more and going with a coil over?

Old 02-10-2010, 02:31 PM

Kevin,

Sorry for the delay...pretty busy at work. Anyway, 550 for the labor is ridiculous. I only paid $200 here for my springs installed back then. You have two options to lower your car,

1) Coilovers- Check out this site tirerack.com , they have everything you need.
2) Shock/Springs- Bilteins/H&R (F:1.3, R:1.4) or Bilteins/ Eibach (F:1.2,R:1.2).

If you choose option 2 you probably want to use H&R because it make the car lower more than Eibach but the ride is stiffer so its up to you. I have had used both.

Wheels : I suggest used 19" rather 20". The CLK looks perfect with 19". You need to check out this site MBWorld.org there are alot of information about this matter. Lets post some pics of your car bro. .

Andy

Old 02-10-2010, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by M-bENZ1
Kevin,

Sorry for the delay...pretty busy at work. Anyway, 550 for the labor is ridiculous. I only paid $200 here for my springs installed back then. You have two options to lower your car,

1) Coilovers- Check out this site tirerack.com , they have everything you need.
2) Shock/Springs- Bilteins/H&R (F:1.3, R:1.4) or Bilteins/ Eibach (F:1.2,R:1.2).

If you choose option 2 you probably want to use H&R because it make the car lower more than Eibach but the ride is stiffer so its up to you. I have had used both.

Wheels : I suggest used 19" rather 20". The CLK looks perfect with 19". You need to check out this site MBWorld.org there are alot of information about this matter. Lets post some pics of your car bro. .

Andy
Andy,

No worries about your timing, its all good...this probably wont be done until the weather gets better here, and i need to save up some funds and wait for my refund check lol. Ill probably do the drop and wheels on the same weekend hopefully by april/may. Im not sure which route I am going to go in terms of the suspension. Ill keep you posted. As for the wheels, your talking me into 19s now lol. Im sure either would look good but i could probably save a few bills if i chose the 19" wheels as opposed to the 20". right now its pretty much a stock 500 w/AMG package, nothing special. I also wanna tint the windows darker than the illinois law (35% all around) because my interior is cream and 35% would look too light...i was thinking something in between 35% and 20%, probably 28% or so. But i have to wait until after i renew my liscense next week in case i have to take a driving test. the DMV might wanna use a window tint meter and if its lower than what the law dictates. if they did id be ****ed. im actually on MBworld too and saw your posts which are awesome. Thanks alot Andy, I appreciate the help. Ill be sure to post some pics as soon as i get the mods going

Old 02-10-2010, 10:21 PM

awesome...keep us posted.

Andy

Old 02-17-2010, 08:31 AM

Andy, just a quick question. I think I am going to go with the Giovanna Sabina (black) full cap. 19x8.5, 19x9.5. I was just wondering, in your opinion, how much would i need to drop the car to make it look and ride good? 1"? 1.5"? Im still debating on springs or coilovers, but im leaning toward springs just to keep my cost down. let me know. THANKS

Old 02-18-2010, 11:08 AM

For the springs :
Eibach - 1.2 F , 1.2 R (used to have it on my CLK320/not that lower).
H&R - 1.3 F, 1.4 R. (im using it right now with mine stock rims)

I haven't got a chance to use the coilovers therefore I can not tell you how much you need to lower your. .

Edit: what do you use on MBworld that way I know its you lol. This site is slooowwww.

Andy

Last edited by ForcedInduction; 02-19-2010 at 06:43 AM.

Quick Reply: Custom Rim help on 2005 CLK 500